Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am just a bedroom player, but own my own house so can crank when I want. I use an ADA MP1 and I just got a Mesa 20/20 so am now about to buy a cabinet. Would you go with the 2x12 8 OHM or the 4x12 16 OHM cabinet? Which would sound "better" plugged into the 8 OHM output of the Mesa at the same input level?

BTW I could also get a Mesa Recto 2x12 cab.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yo.... go with the mesa 2x12 recto cab for sure they sound awesome

and go with an 8 ohm cab to match the impedance!!

Will sound the best!!!

thats my two cents worth!
RB

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Ehh, don't listen to Rob, he doesn't know anything about tone, he uses those cheap Cornford amps:mrgreen:

Seriously, the Mesa 2-12s are great sounding cabinets, more bottom end than the Legacys.

j/k Rob...

Roger

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, going Mesa for sure, but I thought of something possibly better. Since I'll be running a 20/20, wouldn't it be better to use 2 1x12 Rectos instead of 1 2x12? Then I could run both sides of the amp.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
1x12" cabs are a little small really to get a good bass response.

The best option if you wanted to run in stereo would be two 2x12" cabs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be awhile before I would ever buy another 2x12, if ever. It sucks to spend 750 on a new Mesa Amp and only use half of it!!! Do you think running a single 2x12 at 20watts on the Mesa 20/20 is "good enough", leaving the other channel off forever? The thing with the 1x12's is I would be using both channels.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Why don't you get a Marshall 2x12 or even two Marshall 2x12's. You can switch them between mono or stereo and run both channels.

I would never spend that much on a quality power-amp and run it through 1x12"s personally.
Bass response is next to nothing on a cab that small. You need at least 2x12's to get enough resonance through the actual enclosure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought the 2x12, now I gotta wait for all my parts to come in for my MOD4 MKII mod for my ADA MP1!! I already desoldered all the parts which are to be changed so I have no preamp lol!

Damn I'm excited.... hotrodded ADA MP1, Mesa power, Mesa cab... drool...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Wish I'd known, I just put my Mod 4 in the classifieds. You should do the noise mod and battery mod while you're in there.

Roger

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I ordered everything from Mauser to do the battery, effects loop, noise, and Mod 4 =)

Did you not like the Mod 4? It sounds like it's just want I am looking for, a wanna be JCM 800 2203.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It's very JCM 800-ish, sounds great, I would also suggest putting a BBE between the preamp (or effects if you have them) and the power amp. I'm just using a Rocktron Chameleon most of the time now, I also have a Rocktron ProGap and an Intellifex, so I have plenty of rack stuff. The Rocktron stuff had built in Speaker Sims, so it makes recording easier. But, the Mod 4 is highly recommended, I would say the Noise mod is more important though, since the stock MP-1 sounds pretty good already.

Roger

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Rob Balducci said:
yo.... go with the mesa 2x12 recto cab for sure they sound awesome

and go with an 8 ohm cab to match the impedance!!

Will sound the best!!!

thats my two cents worth!
RB
Yes matching impedance is very important!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rgr said:
It's very JCM 800-ish, sounds great, I would also suggest putting a BBE between the preamp (or effects if you have them) and the power amp. I'm just using a Rocktron Chameleon most of the time now, I also have a Rocktron ProGap and an Intellifex, so I have plenty of rack stuff. The Rocktron stuff had built in Speaker Sims, so it makes recording easier. But, the Mod 4 is highly recommended, I would say the Noise mod is more important though, since the stock MP-1 sounds pretty good already.

Roger
Got my BBE 482 ready to go =) Man I'm so stoked...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts