Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a VBT700 and no matter what I do, I can't get it to feel right. The low E string is .056 and it still feels floppy. I mainly use this guitar for songs I need to down tune, but when I go even to dropped D, it starts flopping all over the place. The best way I can describe the feel is "bouncy". Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a .046 string on my RGT42DX, and the VBT700 feels bouncy while the other feels perfect. It does this on all of the strings, and I want to be able to bend the strings when I am in standard.

·
Registered
355 Posts
maybe a different guitar then? sorry.
dont know what to say on that one...since its a string thru, i dont know of anything that you can adjust.....

·
Registered
355 Posts
well, next time you change your strings, just wind more onto the post. that will increase the break angle without adding a string tree. if that works, then maybe string trees would work. i would try that before i drilled into my headstock.
although, (and i may be totally wrong) it seems to me that even with the string trees, the tension would be the same between the nut and the bridge. its still the same string length tuned to the same pitch. who knows....

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Part of this feel is due to the string through body bridge. When you bend, the part of the string behind the saddles (all the way into the body) also needs to be stretched,

Same with the part of the string that is behind the nut, which is why graphite nuts were invented. But this effect is more pronounced on the high E.

btw a string tree does not affect tension, but it does put more downward pressure on the nut, which could limit slippage.

the good thing about the VBT is that it has a 648mm scale lenght, shorter would be even bouncier:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f19/why-are-strings-loose-on-epiphone-les-paul-82217-2.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tuned down and like the way it feels better now. I will get a slightly larger guage and keep it tuned down to D. Thanks everybody.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts