Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard of "Black Light Syndrome" as Mike Portnoy calls them from their first album title from the liner notes on the first Liquid Tension Experiment CD.

I knew of Terry Bozzio and Tony Levin, so I thought it might be worth checking out, but it was Steve Stevens who I was most impressed with - the guy who played for Billy Idol and Michael Jackson in the 80s. Great tone, great note choice.

I am partial to the first one (Black Light Syndome) but a lot of people prefer the second (Situation Dangerous). Both their CDs are exceptional and worth checking out.

Also Frank Gambale, Stuart Hamm & Steve Smith are worth checking out. Picked up GHS3 and it's great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You rock! :)

I really love Steve Stevens tone on Chaos/Control too (especially the clean one in the middle). One of the best tones I have ever heard,

I put BurstbuckerT's in my Les Paul and get tones like that with my Studio 15. I need to learn that song and practice so I can get a tone like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guitarist for hire said:
I've only heard one album, and I can't remember the title, but I love their stuff. Steve Stevens is very underated in my opinion.
Yes he is. His solo albums were quite good and he did a song for Songs of Wood and Steel which was quite good. Recently I picked up Derek Sherinian's Mythology on CD which has Steve Stevens on 3 tracks. 2 of them are something like Jeff Beck on speed... very very cool!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris From Singapore. said:
Excellent CD! I love both of them to bits, just wished; like LTE, they would make many more! :(
I've heard they are trying to make another :)

Another LTE would be nice but that's not about to happen...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
red5 said:
... Recently I picked up Derek Sherinian's Mythology on CD which has Steve Stevens on 3 tracks. 2 of them are something like Jeff Beck on speed... very very cool!
Yeah, that first one is too cool for words.

The two BLS CDs are awesome work. The first one sounds more experimental, the 2nd a bit more polished. But both rock. Bozzio is sooooo sick. Steve is just plain great and Tony kicks major low end booty.

BUY EM!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,215 Posts
Steve Stevens has been one of my favourite players for years. He can play in numerous styles, and always has kick-ass tones. Definitely underrated and not heard by enough people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ekim said:
Yeah, that first one is too cool for words.

The two BLS CDs are awesome work. The first one sounds more experimental, the 2nd a bit more polished. But both rock. Bozzio is sooooo sick. Steve is just plain great and Tony kicks major low end booty.

BUY EM!!
Alpha Burst.... damn the solo rules on that one! Played it on the way to work today (at work now) and still have the solo stuck in my head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
darren wilson said:
Steve Stevens has been one of my favourite players for years. He can play in numerous styles, and always has kick-ass tones. Definitely underrated and not heard by enough people.
And like Vai, I can always tell when it's Steve Stevens. :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top