Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brand new guitar/neck issues!!!!! (Help)

I bought a sz520qm two weeks ago. The floor model was the only one, so I took it. In the meantime, the store ordered a new one. THe floor model needed a bit of work with the neck, (center sagging, high action, just a full turn of the truss rod, adjusted the bridge) but after which it played like a dream. (I have setup maybe 12 guitars within the last year, all with great results, but i'm not a seasoned pro at it) Now I get the new one, take it home, and there is some fret buzzing on the E and A, not to mention the action was a bit high. I check the neck, and the center is dipping. I tighten the truss rod, the neck flatens out. Now I have even more fret buzz! Raise the bridge, still have fret buz. I cant see where its coming from either. Losen the truss rod, it still has some buzz, but anything fretted from the 9th fret up, buzzes. I am totally at a loss as to why I cant get this thing set up correctly. I can normally figure stuff like this out, but im stumped. If anyone can help me out here, or offer some tips, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mike

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Don't guess. Get an accurate straightedge and some feeler gauges and start measuring. See if you can adjust the neck really flat to start with. See if you have dips or high spots along the neck. See if the truss rod adjusts the neck in a nice curve, or only right near the headstock end (or somewhere else). See if you have any fallaway (or any rise) at the bridge end. Knowing the real shape will tell you what you need to do to adjust it or if more work will be needed. It's a new guitar, so the frets should be reasonably good ... but maybe you just got a lousy neck. If there are dips or sags in the neck, you might need fretboard work to get them out ... or some fancier neck work. Or maybe just the right setup will do it.

Since it is new (and especially if the neck won't flatten out), i'd say take it back to the store and have them try to set it up to suit you. If they can't make it right, have them replace it with another. Bad necks do make it out occasionally, and you shouldn't accept that on a new guitar (assuming of course that it does have a bad neck).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.