Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
the only thing that it might make obsolete is the fookin' fury (it has more feel than he does).

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Pffttt, I will believe it when I see and hear it with my own eyes and ears thanks, lol. "Plucking" as they call it is all very well and good. But what about banging-out some lightning fast Slayer riffs? Or some Yngwie leads? lol, I doubt it very much. Let me see it play Raining Blood or Dittohead all the way through, and then I will be fascinated.

I doubt it will render us obsolete though, no matter how good the thing played, it cant stand up on a stage and show emotion can it. It cant actually put on a show. Lets see it on stage......head banging away......I think not.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
elcid said:
I'm just glad that guy didn't put all that time and effort into developing something useful
Yeah, dedicating one's self to something that could benefit mankind would have been a total waste of time, energy, and love. I too am thankful that humans spend billions of dollars each year on useless garbage. They'll be selling these things on 2 am tv... "Set it, and forget it!!"

Amen.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Knightmeir said:
Yeah, dedicating one's self to something that could benefit mankind would have been a total waste of time, energy, and love. I too am thankful that humans spend billions of dollars each year on useless garbage. They'll be selling these things on 2 am tv... "Set it, and forget it!!"

Amen.
Jeez, lots of classy responses. If you read the explanation on the website, it says this was a graduate project for a mechatronics class at Georgia Tech. Personally, I think it's pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Sorry, forgot to bring my top hat to the tea party!!

~insert English accent~

Yes yes, much praise to those all involved in constructing such a fine masterpiece in human craftsmanship indeed!!

Tis a shame they won't be constructing billions of these works of art for the starving children in Africa!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I was just thinking of trying to create something like this. They have piano rolls, so why not a self-playing guitar?

They need to get something softer to play the strings with though, then it should sound a whole lot better!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I heard the thing before I saw it (wife likes looking at new gizmos). I thought it sounded harpsichordy. Then I saw the plucking mechanism - it IS almost a harpsichord.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I remember 15-20 years ago some Japanes company made one of these just to show off (like the Honda walking robot) and it was much, much better.
It had mellower sound, the whole neck was covered and the demos were amazing as the thing could be programmed to play 2 guitar parts at once.
I think it was Yamaha that made it for some kind of trade show but it was so long ago (I saw a documentary about it at least 15 years ago) that I can't find it online.
Still kudos to this guy for doing this project - I hope he got top grade for it as the time/effort/money involved in this should guarantee you an A.

ilia

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
They should build a doubleneck version, or even a triple neck version. One to do the bass line, one to do rhythm, and the last one to be da fookin fury. If it could have the technique to do things like sweep picking, palm muting, ultra chuggy rhythm and bass work, that would be hilarious to watch and listen to.

It reminds me of those things they have that read punched cards and play music, can't remember what they're called, but they're pretty common here in the NL.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts