Ibanez JEM Forum banner

BREAKING NEWS: Guitar players rendered obsolete!

5K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  unique77 
#1 ·
All human guitar players will soon be replaced with infinitely superior mechanical models.

:D

#3 ·
Pffttt, I will believe it when I see and hear it with my own eyes and ears thanks, lol. "Plucking" as they call it is all very well and good. But what about banging-out some lightning fast Slayer riffs? Or some Yngwie leads? lol, I doubt it very much. Let me see it play Raining Blood or Dittohead all the way through, and then I will be fascinated.

I doubt it will render us obsolete though, no matter how good the thing played, it cant stand up on a stage and show emotion can it. It cant actually put on a show. Lets see it on stage......head banging away......I think not.

#8 ·
elcid said:
I'm just glad that guy didn't put all that time and effort into developing something useful
Yeah, dedicating one's self to something that could benefit mankind would have been a total waste of time, energy, and love. I too am thankful that humans spend billions of dollars each year on useless garbage. They'll be selling these things on 2 am tv... "Set it, and forget it!!"

Amen.

#9 ·
Knightmeir said:
Yeah, dedicating one's self to something that could benefit mankind would have been a total waste of time, energy, and love. I too am thankful that humans spend billions of dollars each year on useless garbage. They'll be selling these things on 2 am tv... "Set it, and forget it!!"

Amen.
Jeez, lots of classy responses. If you read the explanation on the website, it says this was a graduate project for a mechatronics class at Georgia Tech. Personally, I think it's pretty cool.

#10 ·
Sorry, forgot to bring my top hat to the tea party!!

~insert English accent~

Yes yes, much praise to those all involved in constructing such a fine masterpiece in human craftsmanship indeed!!

Tis a shame they won't be constructing billions of these works of art for the starving children in Africa!!

#17 ·
I remember 15-20 years ago some Japanes company made one of these just to show off (like the Honda walking robot) and it was much, much better.
It had mellower sound, the whole neck was covered and the demos were amazing as the thing could be programmed to play 2 guitar parts at once.
I think it was Yamaha that made it for some kind of trade show but it was so long ago (I saw a documentary about it at least 15 years ago) that I can't find it online.
Still kudos to this guy for doing this project - I hope he got top grade for it as the time/effort/money involved in this should guarantee you an A.

ilia

#18 ·
They should build a doubleneck version, or even a triple neck version. One to do the bass line, one to do rhythm, and the last one to be da fookin fury. If it could have the technique to do things like sweep picking, palm muting, ultra chuggy rhythm and bass work, that would be hilarious to watch and listen to.

It reminds me of those things they have that read punched cards and play music, can't remember what they're called, but they're pretty common here in the NL.

#26 ·
timi_h said:
dude not cool, bass players birds are usually not fit at all, thats why they got with the guy in the band that picked up the "ill just play bass, anyone can blag that" instrument!!
You know, it's funny we all joke about A. Bandmember steals B. Bandmember's girlfriend, but I've seen it happen so many times for real.

It's pathetic. And often a good source of entertainment :lol:

Ah yes, back in the day before reality television, we had unscripted band dramas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.