Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to decide which pickups get to finish my guitar project, a RG2570 customized (basswood body, maple neck annd ebony fingerboard), my playing style is progressive metal (like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Evergrey...) and I was wondering if a set of Breeds will work for sweep picking, legato and speed picking, what dou yo think/suggest? Thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Hi, I'm trying to decide which pickups get to finish my guitar project, a RG2570 customized (basswood body, maple neck annd ebony fingerboard), my playing style is progressive metal (like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Evergrey...) and I was wondering if a set of Breeds will work for sweep picking, legato and speed picking, what dou yo think/suggest? Thank you very much!!!
We play the same type of prog music.

I LOVE the Breeds. They are my favorite pup! The tone and sustain are unreal.8O Should work great for you!!!

They will not make you better guitarist (though sometimes I wonder:lol:)

·
Registered
668 Posts
The best thing about Breeds in the bridge is that they actually sound good for sweeping, legato, tapping, and everything else that cant sound too harsh, but they still have amazing "high output" pickup traits such as insane harmonics (pinch, natural, artificial)! My current favorite DiMarzio!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for you answers. After read your replys I think that finally I'm gonna to order a set of Breeds!!One last question: which single coil for the middle position will match properly the Breeds? Cheers!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks to all for you answers. After read your replys I think that finally I'm gonna to order a set of Breeds!!One last question: which single coil for the middle position will match properly the Breeds? Cheers!!!
I'm glad you asked that, I'm in the same position as you. I'm just one sale of a DD-3 away from ordering a pair of breeds for my 1570 and I'm unsure whether the standard middle pickup will be any good along side. I mainly use neck pickup anyway, but while guitars in bits am I as well changing that??? I'm not hijacking your thread I hope but it saves people getting bored of trawling through loads of different threads on the same topic!

BTW. Is there a Breed Middle I cannot find one!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad you asked that, I'm in the same position as you. I'm just one sale of a DD-3 away from ordering a pair of breeds for my 1570 and I'm unsure whether the standard middle pickup will be any good along side. I mainly use neck pickup anyway, but while guitars in bits am I as well changing that??? I'm not hijacking your thread I hope but it saves people getting bored of trawling through loads of different threads on the same topic!

BTW. Is there a Breed Middle I cannot find one!
After a few mails to dimarzio tech, they suggested me a blue velvet to match the breeds, so I'm going to order one.

The set of Breeds is now traveling to home, I can't wait!!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
After a few mails to dimarzio tech, they suggested me a blue velvet to match the breeds, so I'm going to order one.

The set of Breeds is now traveling to home, I can't wait!!!!
Nice one, I may have to source one of those, I ordered my Breeds last night, where did you get yours from? I ordered mine from the ProGuitar shop in the US they are much cheaper then the UK. We should compare notes after they are installed, I like the sound of your guitar. Ebony boards are great, that is what is on my Jem but i've got rosewood on this RG but it plays as well as the Jem. I dont mind messing with this guitar i've just installed a tremol-no and that means I can use them for different things.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice one, I may have to source one of those, I ordered my Breeds last night, where did you get yours from? I ordered mine from the ProGuitar shop in the US they are much cheaper then the UK. We should compare notes after they are installed, I like the sound of your guitar. Ebony boards are great, that is what is on my Jem but i've got rosewood on this RG but it plays as well as the Jem. I dont mind messing with this guitar i've just installed a tremol-no and that means I can use them for different things.
I order the set from ProGuitar Shop in the bay too! It's actually the cheaper option, in Spain this set would cost twice the price I paid. It's a good idea compare notes when we have the pickups on our guitars!

My project guitar has a rosewood fingerboard originally (It's a RG2570 ex vsl body and neck), but I sent the neck to a luthier to replace the fingerboard, installing an ebony board with a mirror tree of life. Ebony it's the smoother wood for fingerboards, I really love it!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I love the Breed bridge. However, the Breed neck is just wayyyy too muddy and INARTICULATE. It's just a total mess.

I think the Breed bridge would probably pair nicely with a PAF Pro in the neck. Less output and more articulate (probably due to the higher treble profile).

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read some reviews that puts the Breed neck between the Air Norton and the Paf Pro in terms of tone and sound, as these pickups are supposed to be articulate, I Think that the Breed should be articulate too, however I don't have the pickup yet, I can't have an opinion, but the most of replys here tells about a good pickup for sweep and picking.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I love the Breed bridge. However, the Breed neck is just wayyyy too muddy and INARTICULATE. It's just a total mess.

I think the Breed bridge would probably pair nicely with a PAF Pro in the neck. Less output and more articulate (probably due to the higher treble profile).

Any thoughts on this?
Never had that problem with the Breed Neck. I did with an Air Norton in my 22 fret S540 though.

The PAF Pro I had in the past sounded too twangy to me(this was in an RG570). I definitely prefer the Breed Neck in a 24 fret guitar, but I'm still searching for an equivalent for my S(there's an Evo neck in it now, but it's sorta weak).

·
Registered
230 Posts

Any thoughts on this?
Hardly the case with my BRMR. I love the neck as much as the bridge.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Hardly the case with my BRMR. I love the neck as much as the bridge.
What a surpirse!!! :lol: Ya know, I've never heard anyone complain about the tone qualities of a Brmr. But I have heard people say that the DBK tone is flat, etc.

Must be the mirror top doing all the work :D

The PAF Pro I had in the past sounded too twangy to me.
I agree ;)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Never had that problem with the Breed Neck. I did with an Air Norton in my 22 fret S540 though.

The PAF Pro I had in the past sounded too twangy to me(this was in an RG570). I definitely prefer the Breed Neck in a 24 fret guitar, but I'm still searching for an equivalent for my S(there's an Evo neck in it now, but it's sorta weak).
Yeah, I don't like the Air Norton either. It's what I've got in my J Custom and I just can't connect with it. I had a Tone Zone bridge and PAF Pro neck in an S and the sound was one of the best I've ever had out of any guitar period. It was the lowest end Ibanez I owned and it sounded the BEST.

I've got a BRMR and it is one of my favorite guitars and the Breed tone is indeed rich. Yet, I almost never switch to the neck while playing that guitar. I guess it's a preference thing. I like more high end bubbly "clickity-clack" (hah! can't think of any other way to describe it) out of the neck pickup which I guess you might find to be "twangy".

I've heard of some people putting the Breed bridge in the neck position, but that would probably require a higher output pickup in the bridge position. I wonder how a Breed bridge in BOTH positions would sound. I might try it.

Right now as far as DiMarzio's go the Breed is my fave in the bridge and for Duncan's the Custom 5 in the bridge. Strangely enough, though I'm not a fan of Evolutions, I love the sound I get out of my 7VWH.

As far as the neck position goes I haven't played anything that beat a PAF Pro, though I hear positive reviews about the HFH. I also hear there's too much of an output drop when switching positions.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've got my Breeds yeh-hey! I emailed Dimarzio they recommended if I did change my middle pickup (which is it appears is not a necessity as I don't use the middle on its own very often) I too should choose the Blue Velvet, but this I didn't know, it needs to be the reverse polarity (DP170S). They are so helpful!

Opinions would be welcomed should I ditch the S1 as I use the neck position most?

Is the Reverse Polarity blue Velvet a must?!?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know nothing about reverse polarity, still waiting for the blue velvet, but breeds are here!!!

Mission1979, which are your first impressions about the sound of the breeds?

cheers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts