Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an RG3120 with a Lo Pro bridge. I’m looking to make the bridge Dive-Only so that I can easily go to Drop-D tuning. If I can get a tone/sustain upgrade out of it, even better.

I currently have a Tremol-no installed, but I lost the Deep-C component, so I can’t use the Tremol-no to make it Drop only. In the past, I found it unreliable for this anyway, as I’d hit it the wrong way and knock the Deep-C out of place.

I’m looking at Tremolo Stoppers and Black Box Stabilizers and trying to decide whether to use one with the Tremol-no or not.

I assume a Tremolo Stopper and Tremol-no combo would allow for Dive-Only with the Tremol-no thumbscrews loose but give the quick option of fixed bridge with the Tremol-no thumbscrews tightened. This sounds like a decent idea.

Another option is a Black Box and Tremol-no combo. I think that would allow me to go between full floating and fixed. I’m not sure if the Black Box would hold the bridge in tune for Drop-D. Also, I’m guessing the full floating would mean I don’t get the tone/sustain upgrade of the tremolo stopper.

Or I could rip out the Tremol-no and go with one of these options as a replacement, rather than a combo. Not sure what to do.

My playing style is I mostly don’t use the tremolo arm, but I sometimes dive, so I like having that option. And I also like having the option of quickly jumping to fixed. I very rarely pull up on the bar, so I could live without that ability if there are tone/sustain and tuning freedom advantages of going Dive-Only. I definitely like to jump between standard and drop tunings frequently, so that’s my main motivation here. So Drop-Tuning support and Diving ability are the most important to me.

Any thoughts on my thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've been down this road myself. I've had the Ibanez back stop, the goldo back box, the ESP version... And I currently use a tremol-no. What I found worked best for dive only is just a trem stop.

Tremolo Stopper https://a.co/d/7zHsAeI

Just put a little bit of fuzzy Velcro on the sustain block so you don't hear it touch the bridge. The combo with a tremol-no sounds like it would be a nice option... The stabilizer route, at least for me, was more of a pain than I cared to deal with. I hated the stiff feeling trem.

I use the tremol-no because it easy to quickly set up the guitar for drop D... Just lock it, tune it... Unlock it and then turn your springs a bit until it's all back in tune. Takes literally a min. Your situation is a bit different than mine of course.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've always blocked my bridges from pulling up. I used to make my own wooden shim but it was a hassle and was hard to fasted in place. Then I used the plastic trem stoppers from Ibanez,,,,but they are plastic. FInally, I bought the trem stoppers from FU Tone. So easy to install, easy to adjust, and they are made of metal, which I think is best for sustain. Currently have one installed on all of my guitars. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a Tremmory on my Charvel Socal and it works great. I can still pull up or down on my trem and drop D and it stays in tune.
and the best part is (besides all of that ) is that If I don't need to drop tune I can just dis engage it and you can't it's even there.
It's a little expensive but it's the only thing I've ever tried that still lets me pull up and Drop D.
Tableware Kitchen utensil Gas Dishware Rectangle

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
My God, that is pure Genius. @LonePhantom
Cheers! Yeah many years ago I was thinking about a design that could achieve this functionality, drawing some basic sketches, etc. And then I just realised, wait, there's already something out there that has the design principals to achieve dive only and floating, and it's made of brass to boot - TONE! LOL! The trick is just getting it lined up correctly before screwing it in. You could lengthen the holes to allow adjustment, if you were slightly off, and that could be done pretty easily, but it's not that hard to line it up and mark the holes anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts