Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ibanez tried to replicate it in 2015, there are no photos publicly available of any of the attempts that I’ve seen

The original was a color combination sample- notice the blue on the back which didn’t make it to the UVMC.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It’s probably not the case but it sometimes seems to me like there’s something floral under there, rather than swirled.

And the way a section is broken away to the wood is similar to a patch on an old BFP I used to have. It’s the way the laquer cracks over the paper and then the paper tears, exposing the wood.

Here’s a 360 video of Bruno.

View attachment 20260
a clear coat finish was applied after the burn for the obvious reasons. It’s possible the clear over the existing finish made it react this way

·
Registered
912 Posts
I found a new Bruno pic.
Do you have some insider info, Kyle?
I don’t think I see a clear coat here.

View attachment 20387
it has a clear coat. it’s stated somewhere on the website. Obviously if it didn’t it would have smelled like burnt guitar, the paint would have continued peeling, would have smelled up the studio & clothes etc.

i worked/interned for Steve & co for a few years in high school before going to college. no other insider info however about this guitar other than being an avid jem/UV fan for around 10 years at this point.

·
Registered
912 Posts
We posted some additional info on Bruno on the site: Vai.com - The Official Steve Vai Website
However, a more detailed description will surface at some point as this is a fan favorite. Steve used it partly during the last EU tour for "Zeus in Chains". Initially Bruno was supposed to be the backup for the Mirror Ball Universe, but for the first part of the tour, Steve preferred using Bruno, as the Mirror Ball is sonically somewhat more challenging. This will be adjusted for the US leg though. I have to double check, but I believe Bruno will recieve new frets in the next few weeks or so.
The Mirror Ball was used for the rhythm parts of ‘Under It All’ I think? That makes it extra special cool ;)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hi! Yes that's me. I still work with Steve - it's been almost 20 years now. You'll be happy to know we are working on a massive photo book of Steve's guitars coming next year.

Regarding Bruno: It's possible Bruno was a color sample, yes, though there is a small chance that it was a rejected MKR. The blue and red on the back could be a result of the heat changing the colors, as it has on the front. I'll report further findings in the book.

The burned finish on Bruno is inspired by Frank Zappa's Hendrix Strat, which was burned by Jimi at the Astoria London on March 31, 1967. (The guitar is often incorrectly attributed to being from Monterey, or Miami Pop. FZ received it from Jimi's roadie "H" after the Miami Pop Festival.)

Though Steve recalls burning Bruno, he did not. It's likely he's thinking of "Cowgirl" his Performance guitar from the DLR tour, which he fire-treated as he had done on the wood panelling in Stucco Blue. Cowgirl's finish was emulated on the Root Beer Jems, of course. Steve's fascination with burning guitars later appeared again in the form of the Jem BSB.

I own the old melted pickups and knobs (and pickguard) from Bruno. Note the pickups are prototype 7-string DiMarzios made by cutting two pickups in half (3 and 4 pole) and gluing them together - which also raises the possibility that it was a very early rejected color prototype...

View attachment 20396
What do you think of the theory that FLO is the floral pattern guitar Thomas mcrocklin borrowed from SV & cut the handle off of?

·
Registered
912 Posts
It has been used on other tracks as well, but most notably of course as a whitesnake touring axe.
For me the coolest thing about "Under It All" is the working title: "Chatroom". That chatroom was one of my first deliverables to Mikey & vai.com when I came on board.. 18 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long.
Re: Flo: New details and info continue to pop up during recent research on many of Steve's guitars including Flo.
At this point I'm convinced that "All About Flo" needs a serious re-write and I'm actually contemplating on pulling it ofline for the time being (it needs technical work anyway), but what the final details will be eventually, I'll leave for you all to be discovered in the upcoming book Mikey mentioned...
The chat room hang we had probably close to 10 years ago now was good fun. I find it hard to visit the ol’ forum now that jeries has passed, he was one of my best friends.

It’ll be cool to have the definitive FLO story. I’ll definitely be using the AAF pictures for the replicas, they’re almost done now..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts