Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, on the lower end of the Ibanez scale how does the SA series of guitars (eg. the SA260FM) compare with some of the entry RGs, like the RG321, RG350, etc.? In terms of sound, quality, playability, etc..

I'm feeling some major GAS lately and my wife seems to be resisting my attempts to get a another guitar (such as a JEM or JS.... grrrr. Still working on her though.), so my mind is naturally wandering to the lower end of the price scale to see if I can cause some damage there. lol

My current (and only) two axes to date are my '07 RG550MMX and '07 SZ320EX.

If I were to spend a few hundred on another (albeit cheapER) axe, which would you recommend to add a little flavor and variety to my collection? (Part of me was a little enticed by the RG350MYE, thinking I could get it as a cheap sibling to my RG20th. However part of me thinks I shouldn't limit myself to too many RGs initially and should look at S, SA, RGA, etc. instead. The SA260FM looks fantasic in amber and is priced only slightly higher than an RG350 locally, but I haven't played any SA models to date.)

·
Registered
396 Posts
My advice:

If you WANT but not NEED a new guitar, save for something better. The guitars you mentioned may not satify you in the long term (if you are used to high-end guitars), and you'll probably buy another one in a few months. The money spent on both guitars could've been used to buy a much better guitar.
If you really NEED and not necessarily WANT a new guitar (e.g. need a backup guitar for gigs), any of the mentioned guitars should be good. I have an rg350, perfect for the price.

We have to learn to control our GAS :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try to find something from the late 80's to early 90's. I bought a 1990 RG560 recently and for a 200 dollar guitar you can't beat it:)

It has Gotoh tuners and an original Edge trem and plays like butter.

Just my .02...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I own an SA260 and its a great guitar for the money, but as said above if you're used to higher end guitars its better to save.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hey Inzane, you and I have a lot in common, began playing as adults, bought 20th Anny RGs, etc.

I think you will be disappointed in those guitars you named after learning how to play on that amazing RG550. You mention wanting to extend your tonal palette, well, those are gonna sound kinda like the 550, just not as good. Instead of staying in the mid-to-lower end new Ibanez camp, check out Telecasters, dobros, acoustics, . . . go nuts,man, it's a wide world of fretted instruments out there!

Now that you know a little more about guitars, start checking out pawnshops, craigslist, etc. Check out all the used stuff in Guitar Center. Build your own in with a kit from Carvin. I understand the desire for new axes, but after my 550, I'm spoiled for those guitars you mentioned.

Peace

Mike

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
SA's bridge isn't worth a cent I spent the majority of my time tuning it. after getting it set up professionally twice and other mods to try to keep it in tune. Its by fair the worst bridge made by ibanez.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts