Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to build a new PC that I'll use for recording, as well as general use. It's been awhile since I looked at new motherboards, so I thought I'd ask if any of you were up to speed on what's currently available. I've always preferred ASUS MB's, because I've found them easy to set up, and dead reliable. I'm open for any suggestions, however.

I've also used AMD processors in the past.

Let me know what you recommend, and why.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Really it all comes down to how much you're willing to spend. The sky's the limit on what you can get, but it's always nice to plan for the future. They've come out with several new types of RAM recently as well as a new type of PCI expansion slot so you may want to do a great deal of research before making your final decision. I would recommend an ASUS motherboard built to support a P4 hyperthreaded processor, the fastest DDR SDRAM available up to 3 gigabytes, and a 8x-16x AGP slot for your video card. Build-in ethernet and wireless (802.11G preferably) is also a plus. I would see what you can find on www.pricewatch.com because they generally have the best prices around.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i just built a new pc based on the asus a8v deluxe m/b with the amd athlon64 3800+ cpu (like you, i'm an asus/amd fan).

kicks butt.

it is good to plan for the future, which is why i went the 64-bit route.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have a set up similar o damo7v's. 64 bit amd's are the way to go. Get the newer platform the, socktet 940's i think. The older ones (939) i think is really good still but they won't be able to upgrade anymore then they are now.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips!

I've used Pricewatch a lot in the past. The place I usually end up buying stuff is newegg.com. Excellent prices, and great customer service. Also, users post reviews of each product on that product's page, so if something's a piece of junk, you'll know.

Andy

·
Registered
795 Posts
nightfiend14 said:
I have a set up similar o damo7v's. 64 bit amd's are the way to go. Get the newer platform the, socktet 940's i think. The older ones (939) i think is really good still but they won't be able to upgrade anymore then they are now.
Isn't that the other way around? The socket 939 chips are newer than the 940s, and it's the current config on all the new Athlon chips. Among other things, the 939s have 1.6GB/s more effective data bandwidth than the old 940s.

A good combo would be the Athlon 64 3800, Venice core, with an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo. Of course, I only say that because that's what I have showing up at my house in about a week ;)

-Ben

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
BeastofLove said:
Isn't that the other way around? The socket 939 chips are newer than the 940s, and it's the current config on all the new Athlon chips. Among other things, the 939s have 1.6GB/s more effective data bandwidth than the old 940s.

A good combo would be the Athlon 64 3800, Venice core, with an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo. Of course, I only say that because that's what I have showing up at my house in about a week ;)

-Ben
very well could be, that's why I said I couldn't remember exactly and I didn't feel like looking it up at the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts