Jem Ibanez Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to build a Jem style guitar. I have a few questions. I've looked at Project Guitar.com a lot, but I need some help with the neck part of it. I want to use Stew Mac for a neck, as I will buy a Finger Board with the nut and frets cut out already. I have a great wood worker which I'm very close to, so he is going to help me, but...

I'll shape the neck a "blank", cut out the truss rod with a router, but that "blank" looks too small. Please tell me that it is bigger then in the stock photo?

And, for the "Hod Rod 2-way" truss rod, wouldn't the routing be easier, as its straight down the neck and doesn't get deeper as it gets down the neck?

I want a square neck pocket, (it will be sanded down like the old Jems), does anyone have the neck pocket measurements for an old Jem?

And finally, what color should it be? I was thinkin' a DY or LNG.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
the hot rods are deep ie; thye require a deep channel to be routed - check th0e specs - you wont get an original jem profile if you use ene of them.
the 2 way rods that luthiers mercantile sell are better.
I dont know what neck blank you are looking at but it only needs to be 20mm thick at the heel - the thickest part.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want a Jem profile. Ok, thanks. It its only 20mm I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Its 13/16''.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I found something a little clearer on Stew Mac. Thanks. One more question, what's flat sawn and quarter swan, and what are the pro's and con's of each?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts