Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first DSLR. I have a $500 budget and have narrowed it down to two:
Nikon D3000 and Canon Rebel XS They are nearly identical in specs. Can anyone comment on their experience with either or both? I am looking for a camera that does well indoors and close-up detail. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Cheap nikon 3000 with CCD sensor is one to pass on.

If you are starting fresh and have friends or family with Nikon or Canon lenses i'd go with that brand for the ability to share & try lenses. Get better than the D3000 though. Assuming that is not the case i'd go with Canon and straight here for a factory refurbish. Add Mack warranty (under $40) if you want and you'll have 3-5 year extended warranty thru legitimate people.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wc...ingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_29252_lowPrice_list

XS w/ lens $399
XSi (better camera) with or without 8-55IS kit lens is $419/$499.
If you can swing a T1i it's a better camera and digic4 & HD video.

If you have an old canon camera (any type film or digital but not camcorder) ask about the canon loyalty program for 20% off price (you'll have to send in the old camera prepaid by canon)
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wc...mView?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&langId=-1
... glen

·
Registered
639 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
The XS is a good choice but I would consider the Pentax K-x also. I know Canon has more pro lenses but there are plenty of very good third party lenses for the Pentax.
I think for the average consumer the Pentax K-x is a very good deal.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I would go with either Canon or , nothing else - the lens range (different types not distance) and interchangeability within both brands should be an important consideration. Nikon will go back further with lens interchangeablity than Canon. Again, either of these two brands are sound.

-Wolfram

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
The XS is a good choice but I would consider the Pentax K-x also. I know Canon has more pro lenses but there are plenty of very good third party lenses for the Pentax.
I think for the average consumer the Pentax K-x is a very good deal.
Especially now with the K-r out. You can get a K-x at B&H for 469

Wolfram's point is clear though. Canikon have far more lens options available than Pentax. I'm not complaining with my K-5 though. I have all I need at the moment.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
most people don't use many lenses, especially old film lenses. Pentax is a good deal - and dSLR at $500 is fantastic for the price but imho not worth investing in regarding learning curve, controls, software, etc. The Rebel or cheap Nikons offer upgrade-ability if one wanted to buy a decent lens they can be confident when buying a body upgrade. They'll also fetch more on e-bay, used, etc. since they're more popular... glen

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I have the Nikon D3000, and a friend of mine has the Canonn 450d (which I think is the Rebel in the US???)

I had the same dilemma in terms of choice when I bought mine. Two things swung it for me.

1. Price, the Nikon was actually cheaper and I couldn't really afford the Canon. I am not a pro photographer by any stretch of the imagination so I couldn't justify the extra expense.
2. I prefer the positioning of the controls on the Nikon. That is a really big deal for me and I knew I would find the Canon irritating.

In hindsight I should probably have bought the Canon. I think that the image quality is slightly better, and I think the build quality is slightly better. The Nikon isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but the Canon also has more features (live view and movies if I remember correctly).

In terms of indoor photography the nikon is not that great. I have trouble getting the lighting right for guitar pictures for example. The built in flash is pretty pants. I don't have the cash to get the proper gun but it is a no brainer if you are doing loads of indoor shooting.

Close up shooting is fine. I bought a Tamron 70-300 lens with a macro function. It is pretty good, but because of the focal length you still need to stand well over a metre away. Not great if you are looking down on the subject. I have done a lot of close up shooting of flowers for a plant catalogue and the kit 18-55 lens works absolutely fine.

Probably the best situation I have found for the Nikon was taking pictures at the British Grand Prix. I got some excellent shots that I am really happy with.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
you can thank the CCD sensor for that. Remember the 70-300 is 106-456 nikon film equivalent meaning it's pretty long indoors plus it's what f4.5 or higher. Also it can obscure the built-in flash. The cheapest nikon iTTL speedlight such as SB-400 would improve the indoor pics and that one supports bounce, might want to look into it... glen

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
you can thank the CCD sensor for that. Remember the 70-300 is 106-456 nikon film equivalent meaning it's pretty long indoors plus it's what f4.5 or higher. Also it can obscure the built-in flash. The cheapest nikon iTTL speedlight such as SB-400 would improve the indoor pics and that one supports bounce, might want to look into it... glen
Thanks, when/if we get the move to Australia sorted I'll look at that and some other lenses.

Unfortunately, being unemployed at the moment doesn't help...............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts