Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to buy 2 DiMarzio pickups (Steve's special and Fred). The list prices are around $95, but I have a couple of questions :
- What is the regular street/deal price for those pickups ?
- Do you think I can get a better price by buying them directly from DiMarzio ? Is it common to deal on the phone ?
- I live in seattle. What is a place to order those pickups at a good price. Guitar Center ? Trading musician ?

Thanks for your help.

Nicolas.

(Edited by nmanel at 1:13 pm on June 7, 2001)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Buying DiMarzio pickups

$50/pickup new isn't a bad deal. Just keep talking people down until you get what you want. Most places will only do $60, I don't like that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Buying DiMarzio pickups

If you ordered them direct, you'd pay list.
They cost about 60 at Evil Guitar Center, even if you have to order them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Buying DiMarzio pickups

I think your best bet is to find a mail order or internet catalog that sells them. You should be able to find them for around $65 that way.
If you order them from DiMarzio, you will pay full price.
If you find a used one, they may be considerably cheaper. I bought an Evo used for $40 in great condition. It was $65 from Musician's Friend or AMS and DiMarzio told that it would be $99.

Good Luck in your search - Andy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buying DiMarzio pickups

I just order the picku-ups at Guitar Center in Seattle. $59.99 each. First the guy said he can only $89.99 but of course I talked with him :)

Also, I learned that Steve Vai is coming this W.E. at the EMP !!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buying DiMarzio pickups

W.E = week-end
EMP = Experience Music Project, the music museum in seattle...

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Buying DiMarzio pickups

$60 is about the cheapest you'll find then new/retail. Of course they're cheaper used.

Advantages to used:
  • Cheaper
Disadvantages to used:
  • Dealing over the internet always leaves some doubt as to the integrity of the seller
  • The person before you may have cut the lead wires down to nothingness for his front-routed guitar, but yours is rear routed and you don't have enough wire to get to the switch
  • what if you don't like it? Then what?
  • what if it breaks a week or even a year after you get it?
Disadvantages to new:
  • about $10-20 more expensive
Advantages:
  • 30 day exchange policy if you don't like it
  • DiMarzio p'ups have a 5 year warranty
  • you get the satisfaction of opening the brand new pickup box yourself.
  • you get the comfort of knowing exactly where the pickup has been and how it's been treated

IMO, all of the above are pretty good reasons for spending a little extra money and buying it new.

I bought a lexicon MPX-100 a little while ago. It's a great unit. I saved about $40-50 by buying it used - they're usually around $200, i got it for about $150 with no manual.. Within a year, it needed repair which would have been covered by warranty. The repair cost about $80 and couldn't have been done by anyone but an authorized center - it was a tricky electronic thing.

The point is, when all was said and done, i paid $10 for a new manual and $80 for a repair in order to save $50.

Buying used doesn't always pay off.
~Kenny

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buying DiMarzio pickups

Actually, I just ordered the pick-ups, new, $60 bucks each, so that's good. They will be custom color purple, awesome :).

About used gear, I'm considering getting a used Bad Horsie. However on ebay for example they are always highest bid at ~$80....compared to the usual $100 street price, I think I'll buy ont new also.

Nicolas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts