Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just hit me to look for some of the amps I'm interested in on Craigslist, and there are some decent deals.

Assuming the item is within driving distance (so you can try it out), tell me your thoughts about buying stuff on Craigslist.

Obviously there's no return policy and I'd be pissed to buy something and have it stop working a week later.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It seems fine to me. I bought my mesa 2x12 on there for a smoking deal. Still works great over a year later. For an amp/guitar i'd probably wanna meet at a local guitarcenter and play it for a bit but I think buying on craigslist is a lot better than buying on ebay because you get to meet your seller and assess whether its a sketchy deal or not.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Talk to the person on the phone and ask alot of questions. Also you can pre haggle get the price down a bit and find out the condition. You also get a feel for the seller if he is a douche or will flake out and not show up if your gonna drive 50+ miles the person has to be there when you arrange to meet. If the person sounds crazy or like a serial killer you might want to forget it.Also some people are just aholes all around so you can skip them too. I find most musicians are super laid back and cool and very easy to work with!

Having a phone or laptop with internet connectivity is nice too if they have a nice item but too high of a price you can show them the same item and a much lower used price. Also some people dont know what there item is really worth so if you show them 10 ads for say a ibanez rg550 for less money they get the idea their price might be a bit high and come down for you.Also bringing up the I will buy it today and you will be done with meetings and showings and people not showing up,or offering video games and cb equipment in trade will be over. Selling on craigslist can be a huge pain now because most people dont have much cash.You get people who want to pay installments or you to hold the item. So an instant sale for like 50 bucks less is like a no brainer to me if I was the seller.

Good luck on your shopping.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I've bought a couple things on C-List and sold a ton of stuff that way. It's great for buyers because you can usually find stuff for cheaper than a store will sell used and great for sellers because a store won't usually give you as high an asking price as you can get direct.
I've only had one less than good experience with a guy who tried to haggle me after I'd told him the price was firm, he'd agreed, and come to pick it up. He left after purchasing my gear but felt a bit put out that I wouldn't budge on the price.
Aside from that, it's been a great way to move and acquire gear. I completely agree that you need find out everything you can about the item, it's condition, history, etc. and ask for pictures before going to have a look. If nothing else, it can save you a trip somewhere and also can help you determine beforehand if the price is worth it. As annoying as it can be, it's also ok to show up, play it and realize that it isn't what you're looking for. It's annoying as a seller to have that happen, but it beats someone buying from you and then complaining to you about something that you were up front with on after the transaction is done. Just like the bay, do your research and you'll be fine. If leary of someone coming to your home, meet in a public place - can always use a music store or something to let you try something out - just look like you're also there to shop for the music store's wears as well.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I am a big fan of CL as well...bought and sold lots of stuff - just recently bought a RG550 for a good price..and pups...and snowshoes...sold tirechans...and snowshoes...and my wife's truck...lots of stuff...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Good advice in this thread, and other posters have covered the important points. Common sense and good communication are big keys. I love CL, both for buying and selling.

Peace

Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
About a year ago a 20th Anniversary black RG550 comes up in the local Tulsa Craigslist. The guy wants $800. I offer him $600 but he declines. Fast forward six months and I get a text message from the guy saying he needs cash and he'll sell it for $400. I meet him that day at the local gym and pick up the RG550 plus matching case for $400. The guitar is beat up a bit but it sings like a nightengale. The trem was way out of whack and it needed intonation adjustment. A little bit of elbow grease, a new set of Slinkys and viola! Another nice Ibanez added to my collection.

I've also sold a ton of stuff on C-list. Everything was $25, old furniture, skiis, TVs, appliances, etc. I've cleared out tons of stuff; $25 at a time, :>P

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've bought and sold all kinds of things off of Craigslist and have never had a bad deal. I'm becoming a Craigslist junky because I'm surfing it looking dor deals all the time. With Craigslist you can actually try things before you buy them unlike Ebay where you are paying for a picture and hoping the seller was honest in their description.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I love the list! I just got a 09 Jackson DKMG, quilted maple top Transparent black, w/emg's, and 9-volt super charger, Og. hard shell case, 200.00!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I have sold more than bought and it has always worked out well for me, meeting mainly at starbucks to do the trades. I have been looking at a couple amps and have been in touch with a couple sellers, who seem on the up and up. If I was to meet someone somewhere, I always leave info with someone with regards to where I will be, and the person's contact info I have been in touch with. Just to be safe, I try to keep it in a public place and never offer anyone to come over to my place.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Love craigslist. Make sure you bring a knife though.
Good advice actually... always meet in a public place, even a store or resturaunt. There actually was a guy on MG.org that almost got completely mugged and possibly killed.. thankfully he had the wit to narrowly evade what could have been a very very bad situation. Also bring backup.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
. . .

Obviously there's no return policy and I'd be pissed to buy something and have it stop working a week later.
Hey Jemsiters,

I'm revisiting this thread because since I last posted, I now have the opportunity to buy an amp off CL. What would you do the following situation?

Pics show the amp in decent-to-good condition with power lights on. I guess like the OP, my main concern is that if it works, it's a great deal. But if there's some sort of problem that I don't find before the money changes hands, I'm screwed.

Peace

Mike

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well, that's the risk you take with craigslist. Pics are good but you need to try it out. While public places are great for safety, they can make trying an amp out difficult. Perhaps meet at a music store and test it there. I'll sometimes buy a pack of strings so the store doesn't think I'm just using them for the electricity, but I don't think it really matters that much. You'll have a wealth of guitars there to work with and most places won't mind if you say you're wanting to try guitars with your amp and so brought the amp. Call the store before setting up the meet to confirm, but I don't think that most places would mind.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Hey Jemsiters,

I'm revisiting this thread because since I last posted, I now have the opportunity to buy an amp off CL. What would you do the following situation?

Pics show the amp in decent-to-good condition with power lights on. I guess like the OP, my main concern is that if it works, it's a great deal. But if there's some sort of problem that I don't find before the money changes hands, I'm screwed.

Peace

Mike
Hey Mike, bring a guitar to test it out and a (big) friend to watch your back............ more than likely everything will go fine and hopefully you'll get a new amp at a great price.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks for the response. I also keep reminding myself that if I can meet the seller beforehand and see and hear the amp before I hand over the money, I'm way ahead of ebay in pre-sale knowledge.

Peace

Mike

·
Registered
978 Posts
Bringing a large friend is always a good idea. You should definatly know what you want and what its worth. I have bought and sold many things on CL, so far no problems. CL Rocks!

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Right now I have 3 things on CL, 2 of them had people disappear after setting up a meeting to buy the stuff. Between people flaking out like that, constantly wanting to low ball you and wanting you to deliver the gear to them because they live 50 miles away and don't have a car sometimes it's more frustrating than it's worth

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
. . . 2 of them had people disappear after setting up a meeting to buy the stuff. . . .
I hear you, for me it's usually gotta be the nearby Starbucks so even if they didn't show up I'd still have my recreational drug of choice (caffeine) handy.

. . . hopefully you'll get a new amp at a great price.
Mesa Nomad 45 for $450? Includes footswitch and cables, nothing else. Powers up from the photos the guy sent. Sounds good, right?

I guess my main thing is I'm a little intimidated by the complexity of Mesa products and I'm not gonna waste the guy's time tweaking knobs for an hour.

Peace

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts