Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's old news but the RG421 is disco'd. I checked on one today and saw the price fell thru the floor. The explanation was that it was disco'd. Worked out great for me... got it for $299. Just hate to see such a great model bite the dust. I hope Ibanez duzn't consider this RG hardtail experiment a bad one.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I saw an auction on Ebay for a discontinued RG421....maybe it's just that particular color that is being discontinued. Can anyone confirm this?

That's crap if they already discontinued it, but whatever.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thats bull Im sorry. I was hoping the introduction of some new fixed bridge models, not discounting the only RG fixed they have. Although that sucks it doesnt bother me to much as long as I get at least 2 more. ILl be happy, at least now i'll get them crazy cheap.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly, it's like everything else corporate in this world. Has nothing to do with being cool or good work or a good idea, it has to do with selling Xmillion units to the idiot masses. And if that doesn't happen instantly, then adios, on to the next fad.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Polaris20 said:
Well, with Ibanez it seems if it's not an instant success it's gone. Makes me wonder why the K7 is still around.
Because it has Korn's name on it. *shrug*

I wish I had the cash to pick up an RG-421 and rig it up with a Transperformence bridge. :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
thats what ibanez is missing. a GOOD fixed bridge RG. if they made a 500 series with a fixed bridge and a reg wiz neck i would be all over it like spandex on an 80s rock band. maybe even a wiz 2 neck, but im more a fan of the wizard. I just didnt like the binding on the 421's neck

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
BZ Beetle said:
thats what ibanez is missing. a GOOD fixed bridge RG. if they made a 500 series with a fixed bridge and a reg wiz neck i would be all over it like spandex on an 80s rock band. maybe even a wiz 2 neck, but im more a fan of the wizard. I just didnt like the binding on the 421's neck
Well I love mine, binding or not. WIth the Dimarzios, it rules.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The 421 is an EXCELLENT guitar. A lot of what makes that is the price tag, of course the 421 isnt the same as a Prestige or 3G$ PRS, but it is an awesome guitar in its own right. Remember, it IS japanese, which to me makes a difference. It's the same build and quailty as the famed 500 series and above.

But I somewhat agree with you. Now Ibanez will be missing a good fixed bridge RG...along with the USRG10. :x

·
Registered
328 Posts
damn pekkam, if that came in any other colors it would make me down right randy! I never really had a problem with the RG421, i just didnt buy one, i guess i was waiting for sales to take off so they would make one with a wizard neck. the more i play my RG570 the more i fall in love with it. you all know how i ranted about my T-60 and my AR250, i havnt touched either save for about 15 minutes a week lol AND because its a floating trem guitar, noone wants to deal with having me tune up before practice, so they all tune to me :D

anyways back to my grumblings lol
I was seriously considering an RG421, the only reason i didnt get one the first second i heard of them is because I was hoping for a wizard neck model to come out. cant win em all i guess :\

why doesnt ibanez make an RGT *cough unbound neck cough* in a fixed bridge?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
PekkaM said:
What about the new mahogany bodied RG621? Anybody know, if they are gonna export it outside Japan? RG2081 is probably only for Japan.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/el_guitar/rg_rx/rg621.html
Ishibashi carries these, so if you don't mind ordering from Japan, it is available.... I actually really like the RG621, especially the mahogany body and the toggle switch...is it only me, or does the rosewood board look like maple?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wondered about that fretboard color myself. I'm guess it's just crappy photography.

A toggle and no 5-way... hmmm... interesting. I really like the 5-way tho, i might miss it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There WAS a RG521 a few years ago, with the Wizard neck and no binding. It was a spot model, released at Summer NAMM. It wasn't publicized much, but still sold out due to limited numbers. Like many spot models, it was used to gauge if the market would support such a guitar. A year or so later, the RG421 made it's appearance. The neck was made thicker to appeal more to "rhythm" style of player and the binding was added to make a visual difference between the 521 and the 421.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the 421 is being discontinued in lieu of a cheaper model. Let's look at history. The RG7621 was discontinued and became the RG7421, which became the RG7321. I would not be suprised to see a RG321. I guess we'll see in January.

Cheers,
Butch

·
Registered
328 Posts
i just want one on the 500 series platform. or *LIGHTBULB* could i put a wizard neck on 421 body? *ponders*

i might have to try this!! im excited!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
butch said:
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the 421 is being discontinued in lieu of a cheaper model. Let's look at history. The RG7621 was discontinued and became the RG7421, which became the RG7321. I would not be suprised to see a RG321.
And I was hoping for the opposite... drop the 421 and come out with the RG1221, or better yet, the RG3121! As long as it's a fixed bridge with Dimarzios... I'm up for it.

--B

·
Registered
450 Posts
bduersch said:
butch said:
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the 421 is being discontinued in lieu of a cheaper model. Let's look at history. The RG7621 was discontinued and became the RG7421, which became the RG7321. I would not be suprised to see a RG321.
And I was hoping for the opposite... drop the 421 and come out with the RG1221, or better yet, the RG3121! As long as it's a fixed bridge with Dimarzios... I'm up for it.

--B
Well, there's the RG2081.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts