Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I wasn't sure if I should post this in the tech section or not...

but if I wiggle the cable while it's plugged in my guitar, and the connection to the amp is kinda shaky, is that a problem with the electronics of my guitar or with the cable?

-Jeff.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you wiggle the connector at your guitar and hear the problem, then it's a connector. If you wiggle just the cable and it exhibits the problem, it's the cable.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Put the same cable into a different guitar, and wiggle it. I would put my money on saying that it is the guitar, not the cable.

·
Registered
663 Posts
...or put another cable into the same guitar :wink:

Seriously, I've encountered this on many cheaper output jacks, one of them being on my otherwise trusty Blazer guitar, grrr.

If you really got a 270, like your username says, remove the output jack plate and look if anything is loose in there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is actually on an older jem...

should I take it in and have someone look at it or is something easily repaired with a soldering iron?

(the rg270 was my first guitar, way back when I made this userid :))
-J

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ahh, ok!

Sounds like the problem is not too serious. When you wiggle the cable, is the connection to the amp really interrupted or is there just a crackling noise?

Anyway, here's what I'd do:
Remove the backplate behind the output jack, wiggle around inside the cavity to see if anything is loose/moving, maybe stick a cable into the jack and wiggle it around to see what's happening 'inside'. Maybe theres a loose cable (yes, anyone with a soldering iron should be able to fix this; but if you're insecure, practise on scrap cables for a few minutes).

If everything is tight, check for dirt/greasy stuff on the contacts of the output jack and clean it off.

Oh, and be sure to try another cable first :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts