Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Cabs thread

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Progmanmike 
#1 ·
I have not seen much discussion on this for a while.

What cabs have you bought lately??? Good??? Bad???

What do you think about custom cabs.......avatar......zilla.......so on?????

I recently picked up an old Laney vc50 combo and the speakers were awful (hh vintage 60). I have been connecting it to another laney 2x12 with celestion seventy 80's which is slightly better.

But......the best Cab i have picked up this year is a Orange 1x12 with a vintage 30. I was expecting it to be a make do for a th30 head but was shocked at how good it sounds. It has a really well balanced EQ and can make good work of clean and distortion.

I might try and a custom cab next. I visited the zilla site and quite like the idea of picking the design.

#2 ·
I almost always go with Avatar, had 4 or 5 of their 212s, and they are good guys to deal with. had Sourmash make me a Marshall stack with 2 1X12 cabs and was a little let down. They were by no means bad, but not flawless. I went to pick one of them up and the handle came right out, they cut the hole too big for it and the screw didnt have anything to grab onto. Not a huge problem, in the grand scheme of things but pretty weak

#5 ·
I'm back to using an old ADA split stack slant 2x12 cab loaded with eminence legends with my Soldano. I like how it looks(an upright 212) , how it sounds, and how much easier it is to transport than my Marshall 1960A. I'm thinking of getting rid of the Marshall cab for good.

#17 ·
My vote is an old HUghes & Kettner Attax cab(early '90s) that has the RockDriver 60
speakers (eminence designed). Bad thing is these are hard to come buy.......

I'm back to using an old ADA split stack slant 2x12 cab loaded with eminence legends with my Soldano.
Have you ever played your Soldano through or heard one of those old Hughes & Kettner Attax cabs? (the ones w/the short,fuzzy blue covering)
I'm wondering if those legends you have are close to the RockDrivers, are they smooth with a nice flat freq response? easy on the ears?
H&K had eminence make them special for them you can't get them direct from eminence. Those rockdrivers are VERY VERY smooth, best speaker
I've ever played my SLO 100 through. Its' total liquid, smooth bliss......lol

#7 ·
love the mesa 2x12 recto cab i have. I also really liked the legacy 4x12 i had.

I would like to find a reasonably priced genz benz el diablo 2x12 cab. They are great for metal.

I have heard great things about avatar cabs, and if i wanted something special out of a cab i would have them build it.

i really like the speakers egnater is using. I really dig the vintage 30 elite 80 combo. The cabs themselves seem ok.

#8 ·
Vintage 30's seem to do well still after all these years. I have never tried the eminence speakers but i did have a mesa cab once. It was a 1x12 wide boy and had a black shadow celestion. Prob the best cab i have owned.

I was reading about the mesa cabs the other day and apparently a lot of mesa users are pairing their heads with the orange 2x12 closed back (vintage 30) because its massively oversized for the low end.

I think this is quite a relevant subject these day seeing as the price of amps has gone through the roof, most guitarists have no choice but to find alternative cabs for their amps. Especially when the matching cab (mesa, soldano ect) is on its way to £1000. Prob the reason i'm seeing more custom cabs on youtube and in 'post your rig' threads on forums.

#10 ·
Do the mesa cabs still use british celestions??? The black shadow is custom made in the uk but all stock vintage 30's are being made in china.

I did read though mesa and marshall still have the v30 made in uk.

Could someone with a recent mesa cab have a look and see??? I checked the v30 in my orange 1x12 and it has a sticker on the side with 'made in china'.

#11 ·
I had a Carvin 4x12 with the Eminence made Carvin Brit speakers. I liked it okay but it was so damn heavy I hated dragging it to gigs, I sold it and got a Marshall 8412 with Celestions (made in England) Its a 4x12 but its a smaller sized cab. They were discontinued so they are kinda hard to come by. It blew the Carvin away.. tons more ballz, plus I can carry it with one hand. :p

I'm using it with a 1st gen Carvin V3 head.

#12 ·
I'm using a Harley Benton 2 x 12. They're a budget brand for Thomann in Germany, but somehow they managed to build a superb cab at a price that should be way more. It comes with 2 V30's, and only costs around the £150 mark, which is what the V30's on their own usually cost.

#16 ·
my recto cab was a half back and i didn't like it much. I cut a full closed back for it and it sounds awesome. I changed out one of the v-30s with a SICA Mojotone black beauty. The black beauty reminds me a little more of like a g12t-75 but the black beauty is 100 watts and has a sensitivity of 101db. So it handles the lower end really well and the speakers complement each other pretty well.

I had a soldano/eminence in it and they sounded like the same speaker basically. If you want an american v-30 try the eminence v series or get a soldano cab.

I have seen a lot of people with orange cabs, i can't say much about them because i dont have a whole lot of experience with orange other than i know a lot of people are using the cabs.

I think peavey is underrated when it comes to cabs. I think they do a solid job with most of their stuff and they make some great speakers. I dont know why more people dont use them.

#18 ·
I still use my Marshall 1960 4X12s I have three of them left. I really could just use the one I guess, but having a full stack is just so cool! :) I guess they're paid for so why not keep them. I like the way they sound and I can tweak the heads and effects or whatever to get them to sound right. I kind of usually find one thing and keep it until I'm intimate with every bit of it so I learn to manipulate and tune equipment to what I want rather then changing hardware 50 million times.

#23 · (Edited)
I have not seen much discussion on this for a while.

What cabs have you bought lately??? Good??? Bad???

What do you think about custom cabs.......avatar......zilla.......so on?????
Any 4x12 cab made of baltic birch plywood with Celestion Vintage 30 an G12T-75 mixed in a "X", will sound better than anything you could ever heard.
Even the "picking" with that mix of speakers is fantastic. Is all the tone of the 80's and 90's...

Do the mesa cabs still use british celestions??? The black shadow is custom made in the uk but all stock vintage 30's are being made in china.

I did read though mesa and marshall still have the v30 made in uk.
All celestions are made in china these days, all. Mesa is not the exception.
There are no cons in the "china" celestions. The only difference is that you need to break in the speaker. People say they are worst because they didn't break the speaker properly. I know it because I have UK's and china made Vintage 30's.
Just put the cabinet and the speakers over a mattress and play at 3/4 volume for a long period of time, stage volume... not home volume, stage! You will get the tone. Trust me.
Marshal made the 70 vintage celestions for their vintage cabinets, they are slightly brighter than the normal celestion vintage 30.

Anyway, for me there is no better cabinet than a baltic birch plywood cab with Celestion Vintage 30 an G12T-75 mixed in a "X"

And is not just for this kind of music, that mix of speakers works for everything and simple RULE!

That's my advice.
Cheers.

#24 · (Edited)
I like the old school 4x12 straight cabs. You get the power of four speakers first blasting the stage and then going out directly into the audience. It's the reason why some players would put slant cabs lying sideways on floor. There's no reason for the slant other than to entertain the spiders in the rafters of any building. ;)

That being said, slant cabs do look much better.

#26 ·
I've got one of those fancy looking Jackson cabs, 4X12" red Eminence speakers, of course legend has it that it was made by Laney.
The thing kicks ass, the speakers are so deep that I jam out on bass through the Carvin X 100b, ultra chunky, powerful waves that blow your hair back!
Got it from Guitar Center's used section for 80 bucks I think, I just remember spending exactly $420 on it and the Carvin head lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.