Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Can a Major Scale Go backwards?

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  ErickMoral 
#1 ·
I'm fairly new to scales and this is probably pretty obvious although I need to make sure

Normally it a major scale would go like this A B C# D E F# G# A.

But can it go like A G F E D C A# A?

I'm guessing yes it can but I'd like it clarify. Thanks!

#3 ·
No matter what order you play the notes, it's still a major scale.

When referencing a scale, you're talking about the tonality (the distance of whole and half steps compared to your root), not the order you play them in.

Well, there is the melodic minor scale, but you'll learn about that later. :)

#5 ·
I'm fairly new to scales and this is probably pretty obvious although I need to make sure

I don't know what you're talking about, but you're second scale there is A phrygian.
If you want to go back down on the major scale, just use the same notes that you did going up. :)

#11 ·
That's funny, dude!
In fact, as a lurker and always reading threads--I constantly read really humorous replies from you.
I'm really glad to see those. Too many boards lack humort and witty comments. It's refreshing to be part of a community with members like you--that can respectfully remind us that life is too short not to stop and laugh sonetimes.
I'm always waiting to read what you post--I wish there was a "subscribe to members" feature...lol.
I'll just have to keep an eye out daily.

#24 ·

By removing the accidentals on the scale (the sharps) you reversed, you are changing the intervals, therefore no longer building a major scale.

The second formula as you typed it seems to be like a C Mixolydian mode, which is basically a Major scale with a flat 7th (b7)

I think what you meant in the second formula was this:

A G# F# E D C# B (A)

which is basically an A Major scale played backwards.

Yes, you can actually play scales backwards and if the intervals remain the same then it is still the same scale, but notice that when building up scales (and notating the formulas) you should always do so going front and not backwards, then you can play them in any order/motion you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.