Ibanez JEM Forum banner
35K views 110 replies 50 participants last post by  shredman667 
#1 ·
hello,
I was getting mad while I was working on this, more precisely on its beginning. Can any of you play the whole song at the actual speed? And are those sweeps in the beginning? and if anyboy recorded their own versioni would you be so kind to post it?

#3 ·
fettouhi said:
Those at the beginning are arpeggios but Steve doesn't sweep them he plays them note for note. At least that's what I have read. Hope this helps :).

Regards

André
Yes, I learned it a few years back - they are alternate picked arpeggios. But a little secret....for me anyway, it was easier to sweep them and still sounds fine.

#9 ·
It was steve who recorded what I'm trying to play :) But I thought those were sweeps, and I was trying to get them that way but holy sh*t how the hell am I going to do those arpeggios that fast with alternate picking? any tips?!

do you have recording jjemmer777? You sure worked hard as hell right? How long did it take you to learn the beginning, just the beginning?

#10 ·
Well, a little while. I slaved over it endlessly for a few days. It is quite a s t r e t c h, lol. But yeah, I'm with you. I can play it to speed sweeping but not altenate picking. I've always been much better at sweeping. I think I still have an old recording laying around somewhere...this was a few years ago. If your better at sweeping, you could probably save yourself a lot of headache sweeping it. It still sounds pretty much the same. Although.....it's GREAT alternate picking practice:)

#11 ·
nope definately not sweeps. IMO they sound best alt. picked (tone issues) and it's a great warm up excercise to keep you in check. It takes a little while to get up to speed tho. I learned the piece note for note in about a week but didn't get it up to speed until maybe a month later. It's a tough one to play perfect everytime. I still occasionally mess up.

Work with a metronome helps you even out the picking and eventually you'll pick up speed as you slowly progress. It's not an over night job unless you're already fairly skilled at alt. picking, otherwise did it the way I did it. Play slow, speed up, repeat everyday for about an hour. :) If you can handle this piece, you can handle just about any alt picking lick out there! :D

#12 ·
I go through phases of learning it and then forgeting it!

Now I listen to it again it definatley sounds picked. I find to be played at a slower tempo than I would normally sweep with, this explains why I have had so much trouble with it. Unfortunately because I play right handed, and I am lefty, alternate picking is never easy for me; oh, and because I suck in general as well!

It is one of those licks thta if you learn, I am sure it will improve your playing by a whole step.

#14 ·
I always found the pull off section to be far more challenging than the intro, but getting that nice smooth tone is almost impossible its a very clean fat sound and ive never really heard it properly reproduced, but I did know every lick of it at one point i can even hit the high note at the end by fretting on my neck pickup. Only problem is that lost note is a recording trick/eventide harmonizer and has some low notes in it as well that are probably impossible to play without a computers help. If you want to learn the intro the best thing to do for me was to memorize the notes then go over the shapes. With something like this its best to take your time and not try to bulldog your way through it. I always got more if i worked on it a few times a day than if i sat with it for four hours. To each his own I guess. Youll learn ALOT about picking technique from the arpeggios at the beginning though they are PURE speed. I think the intro sounds sloppy sweeped but it is easier for me to do it like that

#15 ·
I played it 2 or 3 years ago with my washburn but it was impossible to do the end of the song as it is you have to play 24 frets... I also remember the second part as very hard to play on that guitar. Sure I Can do something "similar" now with my FP, but do not expect same as Mr. VAI or Mr Cooder...
I recorded it but I have recently moved from my house. I'll try to find it through hundreds of CD's and I'll post it.
BTW, why don't we (all) post our own version of that song here?

#17 ·
sniperfrommars1 said:
If i try to bend up the note even on a 24 fretter i often just break the string. lol
.. just think on me trying to do it at the 22nd.

Wis Redz of Silvanost, is not as difficult as it looks. just memorize and try different "ways" on the 3rd and 4th arpegio (if I remember well) in the case you cannot play as it is on your tab.
..was your Trick Jim? ;)

#18 ·
its easier to fret on the neckpickup and wiggle the bar a little anyways, plus people freak out *EVEN MORE* when i do this, their like wow hes not even playing on the neck! lol. I seem to remember some guy who does this alot by raising the polepieces on his pickups. He even used some kind of piezo thing behind the locking nut and tuned the headstock to open chords after locking the thing down. CRAZY cant remember the guys name though for the life of me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.