Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Question of the week: can I plug an Engl Fireball head into a Valveking 112 combo? Is there a way of hooking the speaker up to the Fireball's output? I've never had a separate head / amp + cab configuration so I don't know how they plug into each other. Please clarify! Thanks :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I answered this question in chaos731's thread, but there's some more info for you
Providing you know the impedance of the Carvin speakers (probably 16 ohms?) and you use the correct impedance socket/switch on the head AND you use a proper speaker cable not and instrument cable, then you'll be ok!
Ok, in your case, it's a peavey not a carvin and it's probably 8 ohms.
The biggest problem will be the connection. I imagine you have a short lead from the speaker to a socket on the back of the amp. if this lead is too short to reach the socket on the head you will either need to extend it or make an extension lead with a jack socket on one end and a jack plug on the other. The speaker output from amps can be high current so you can't use an instrument lead for this (I made speaker cables using mains cable)
Jim

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Valveking's speaker is 16ohms, so that's cool :) (I checked out the Fireball and it has 8ohm power amp outputs anyway so itd be fine anyway)

And thanks for pointing out the need to use a proper speaker cable! Would hate to blow the Valveking up, it's a great amp, just not br00tal metalz :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
If the speaker is 16 ohm you'll need to plug into one of the 16 ohm outputs on the head. With valve amps you need to match the impedance values otherwise you may damage the output transformer.
With solid state/transistor amps the recommended value is a minimum and larger values won't cause problems (just won't be as loud).
Jim

·
Registered
157 Posts
actually, as long as the cab ohms are higher than the head ohms, you'll be fine. they do not have to be matched for a tube head.

·
Registered
953 Posts
actually, as long as the cab ohms are higher than the head ohms, you'll be fine. they do not have to be matched for a tube head.
Sorry to disagree but I still think it's best to match the speakers and amp output.
However if you like to take chances:
http://aga.rru.com/FAQs/technical.html#imp-1

Which says go low rather than high! I'd rather stay safe myself (and do!) and I don't want to recommend something to someone that may damage their kit, matching is safest!

Possible debate in another thread perhaps?

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts