Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an RG2550e about two months ago. Im very happy with it and all.

The problem is that it came with a set of 9's. The music i play requires some seriously low tunings i.e B,C. These kind of tuning makes the bass strings buzz like crazy(alas, they are 9's) .To tell u the truth, i dont know one person who uses thick gauge strings on edge pro bridges.

If i do change my strings to 11 or 12's, due to the high tension, Would it cause my bridge any harm? Also, if i do change the strings to heavier, would i still be able to utilize the bridge as easily as i do it on the 9's.

Thanking ya'll in advance

·
Registered
210 Posts
It should not cause it any damage, but most likely the bridge angle will go off due to the change in tension. If you'll be tuning down to C or lower with 11s, there should be less tension than with 9s in E. Either way, the trem angle will be have to set as detailed here.

As an alternative, if all the trem maintenance is too much of a hassle, you could consider the Tremol-No which is capable of blocking/unblocking the bridge easily by a single turn of a knob.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Well, almost all of my Ibanez guitars (and other guitars, for that matter) are tuned down with 11's or 12's, and I haven't had a single problem.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
a lot of techs (including Ibanez) told me not to go above 10s. I had an old rg550 that i had strung with 11s for years...with only 3 springs!

It played great. I did get a couple of shallow cracks behind the nut at one point, but nobody knows for sure if it was attributable to the heavier strings. Ibanez replaced the neck under warranty, after some finagleing (sp?) from my friend at Sam Ash.

When i got my Jem, i decided that it'd be best to just go with 10s from now on .... didn't want to risk it with my baby. I've never had a problem. I break far fewer strings now too.

just so you know...If you go to 12s, you will DEFINITELY need at least one more spring. Your bridge wil get very tight on the whammy stuff the higher you go - say goo bye to your flutter.

Kenny

·
Registered
210 Posts
a lot of techs (including Ibanez) told me not to go above 10s. I had an old rg550 that i had strung with 11s for years...with only 3 springs!

It played great. I did get a couple of shallow cracks behind the nut at one point, but nobody knows for sure if it was attributable to the heavier strings. Ibanez replaced the neck under warranty, after some finagleing (sp?) from my friend at Sam Ash.

When i got my Jem, i decided that it'd be best to just go with 10s from now on .... didn't want to risk it with my baby. I've never had a problem. I break far fewer strings now too.

just so you know...If you go to 12s, you will DEFINITELY need at least one more spring. Your bridge wil get very tight on the whammy stuff the higher you go - say goo bye to your flutter.

Kenny
Tuning down should compensate for the increased gauge without a problem. If he goes as low as B standard, chances are he won't even need three springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts