Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this gio as i was looking for hardware for a guitar build. This was perfect as the guy said the neck was warped beyond repair and he didn't want it anymore. Turns out i love the neck - the profile and reverse headstock have me in love. however there is a couple of deadspots and fret buzz on the guitar. Can this be fixed with some setup changes or is it toast? I don't have much experience with this sort of thing and hoping someone wiser can weigh in for me.

youtu [dot] be/iDFmcU495CM

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
it seems like it might be fixable. you may have a few high frets, but it seems more likely you need a good truss rod adjustment. Most guitar necks bow were the headstock pulls up and back toward the top of the body, it would seem your neck has the opposite bow where the neck back bows and the headstock dips and pulls toward the back side of the guitar.

as long as the neck isn't twisted in a circular fashion it should be fixable. I have only ever had one guitar out of a hundred or more that had a twisted neck. I have it now and have removed the fretboard. I plan on sanding the neck down level again from the fretboard side, making the trussrod channel deep enough the fit a new trussrod and then glue on a new fretboard, and then a full fret job.

·
Registered
993 Posts
it would seem your neck has the opposite bow where the neck back bows and the headstock dips and pulls toward the back side of the guitar.

as long as the neck isn't twisted in a circular fashion it should be fixable.
Exactly, looks like the truss rod is too tight. As long as the neck isn't twisted, a small truss rod loosening and a proper fret dress would fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input guys - truss rod was fine, turns out there were 2 frets that had popped and causing the issue! shouldn't be too much work to fix them. really appreciate the help, thanks!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys - truss rod was fine, turns out there were 2 frets that had popped and causing the issue! shouldn't be too much work to fix them. really appreciate the help, thanks!
Awesome... I like that neck profile too. A little more meat than the Wizard, Super Wizard, etc...

·
Registered
9 Posts
it seems like it might be fixable. you may have a few high frets, but it seems more likely you need a good truss rod adjustment. Most guitar necks bow were the headstock pulls up and back toward the top of the body, it would seem your neck has the opposite bow where the neck back bows and the headstock dips and pulls toward the back side of the guitar. Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

as long as the neck isn't twisted in a circular fashion it should be fixable. I have only ever had one guitar out of a hundred or more that had a twisted neck. I have it now and have removed the fretboard. I plan on sanding the neck down level again from the fretboard side, making the trussrod channel deep enough the fit a new trussrod and then glue on a new fretboard, and then a full fret job.
why when the neck is not twisted in a circular way it should be repairable? What is the exact difference?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
why when the neck is not twisted in a circular way it should be repairable? What is the exact difference?
a twist in a circular fashion can't be fixed by a trussrod adjustment and the neck is done for(it would need considerable amount of work to fix, much more than the guitar is worth and much more than a new neck). if it is bad enough, you'll never get the action right on the neck, nut or bridge. no amount of fret dressing/shaving can fix it 100%

if the twist is minor enough sometimes you can work with it a little bit but your action is still going to be off.

if the neck is bent forward or back with respect to the body, (no twist) a trussrod adjustment can fix that. Tussrod adjustments are easy to do too. The only time a truss rod adjustment doesn't fix this type of bending is when the truss rod is broken. I have worked on literally 100s of guitars and only ever broken one truss rod, and had one guitar that has a seriously twisted neck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.