Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently bought a used Ibanez S1220 w/ natural mahogany finish.

I got it pretty cheap, and it plays great. However, there are a lot of little dents/scratches in the body. I know its just cosmetic, but is there a way to improve the appearance of these natural wood finish guitars? I'm really hoping I would I have to sand down the whole thing and re-laquer it. Will some Tung Oil do the trick?

Any suggestions or experience with these?

Thanks!

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
It depends on how deep the scratches are. If they are not very deep, then grab a MicroMesh kit and start lightly sanding the affected areas down starting with 3200 grit and work your way up. If 3200 is not doing it, then repeat starting with a lower grit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only when YOU put them in there. If you buy used, then you're getting someone else's mojo ;-)

And it looks like the previous guy hit it repeatedly with a vacuum cleaner or something...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone ever successfully pulled this off? The more I look into it, the more it looks like natural wood finishes are hard to fix if there are too many dents in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.