Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say, if you had an old RG series (PRE-AANJ) that you wanted to put a thicker neck on, could you do it? how thick could you go?

Sometimes I love the wizard, other times though I want something a lot meatier.

could this be done?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Absolutely. I know Warmoth used to sell necks with the extended fretboard, so you could get whatever profile you wanted from them if they still do that. Or if you're lucky enough to get an old RT neck (like the one on eveilbay a couple weeks ago) with the over hang, those are Viper necks which are very comfortable. Of course then you'd need to either cut for a lock nut or use the Kahler behind the nut thingy. Or any strat neck will fit in there, but then you have an open spot where the 23rd and 24th fret used to be - I have done that with an RG body at one point, looked okay since the whole thing was black.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely. I know Warmoth used to sell necks with the extended fretboard, so you could get whatever profile you wanted from them if they still do that. Or if you're lucky enough to get an old RT neck (like the one on eveilbay a couple weeks ago) with the over hang, those are Viper necks which are very comfortable. Of course then you'd need to either cut for a lock nut or use the Kahler behind the nut thingy. Or any strat neck will fit in there, but then you have an open spot where the 23rd and 24th fret used to be - I have done that with an RG body at one point, looked okay since the whole thing was black.
awesome

thanks man!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would I still be able to use the locking nut from the edge? or would I need to get one that specifically fit the replacement neck. I know the wizard is 43 mm, and it seems most replacement strat type necks are a bit more or less than that

·
Registered
182 Posts
The older square heel RG's actually fit a Strat neck. It just looks wierd to have that gap between the neck pickup and the 21st or 22nd fret of the neck. I thought about a project where I put a Strat neck on an older square heel RG550 and get a custom pickguard made. I'd have to rout the neck pickup back a bit, but it's a cool idea.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could anything other than an aanj ibanez neck fit an aanj ibanez guitar, or would you have to get one made?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts