Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ready something (dated about a year ago) that said that some fund that Mitt Romney owns bought GC and as part of their new policy, you cannot haggle anymore. Is this true? What about at Sam Ash?

I ask because their sticker prices are usually about the same as what is online, except if you order online there is no tax and free shipping. This can represent significant savings.

I'm sure they are aware of this, are they willing to haggle, or at least give you a deal so your out the door price is the same as what you'd pay online?

If I go buy something I want to have a feel for what to expect.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered. I searched "haggle" and didn't see threads about this specifically.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Haggle all you can what do you have to lose? Make offers throw out some crazy deals all they can do is say no. You never know they might say yes. Just make sure you know the prices of everything and what it should come with it? Hardshell case gigbag whatever. Good luck and try to have some fun.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haggle all you can what do you have to lose? Make offers throw out some crazy deals all they can do is say no. You never know they might say yes. Just make sure you know the prices of everything and what it should come with it? Hardshell case gigbag whatever. Good luck and try to have some fun.
Well yeah you can haggle anywhere, try it why not?

I meant specifically at those places.

Kind of reminds me of the "monkeybrains" story. Here it is if you have never heard it:

Someone posts online that Subway has a special thing (kind of like In and Out's secret menu) that is only for people "in the know." So you go to Subway and order your sandwich as usual and when you get to the cashier to pay, you say "monkeybrains" and your sandwich is free. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

So this guy makes a post online about how he said "monkeybrains" to the cashier and the cashier was like "what?" The guy goes "monkeybrains" and the cashier looked at him like he was crazy.

Obviously the cashier had no idea what was going on because there is no secret password for free sandwiches at Subway. The thread became many pages of people laughing at him :lol:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think it depends on the gear in question. For example, used gear you can definitely still haggle about. I wanted to buy an amp a few months ago from them and after talking to the manager over the phone, got money knocked off the price because it didn't have a foot switch with it. It had been there a while so they were more than willing to make a few small concessions to get rid of it, though I didn't end up buying.
For new stuff, I think you might be able to though I would surmise that they'd probably be more willing to offer things like financing rather than price reductions. You could always go in there with cash and use the old, this is what I've got, will you give it for that trick and be prepared to walk if they don't. Also good to buy at the end of the month when they're trying to meet sales quotas...
At the end of the day, yes, the money savings of buying tax and shipping free online is a big pull, but for some gear, you want to be able to play it and confirm that it's what you want before you buy it and that's where the margin is added. Just another way to look at that side of the argument....

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I work at GC and no, as of 2008 there isn't anymore haggling. That's also because there is a 110% price guarantee from any retailer: as in if you find the price lower anywhere else, we will beat it by 10% of its lowest price.

On online orders, there is free shipping on most orders over $49.99 or above, which is why it's still better to come into the store and actually see what your buying unless you're buying bulk strings or something, but they will still charge you tax on most of things since it's being shipped from our warehouse in Kansas City. You still have to pay the government; but we can price chop here and there!

As for coming in and getting discounts? Sure! If there are nicks and scratches on a guitar, ask and see if we can't do 5 or 10% off. Maybe not a $100 Squier, but on a higher dollar guitar with multiple items? A manager would likely approve it. We do have quotas, and our hours does count against our commission.

·
Banned
154 Posts
haggling makes the world go round,the greedy music stores dont want you to leave with pocket full of £$£$£$£$£$£$£$ THEY WANT IT hahahaha.even if you walk away with a few packs of strings it better than nothing,i love haggling :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
If we don't sell enough in commission to cover our hourly wages, we lose our jobs. That is why you often see people at guitar center trying to sell you things; mainly so we can feed our families. It is not blind greed, I assure you. On average, If I don't sell roughly $2,500 a day, I owe the store money. If I still worked at a mom and pop store and sold that much; I would be able to build a new store in a year (believe me, i've been doing this since I was 19). It's how stores keep their lights on (and how Manny's in NYC didnt...)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah seems kinda stupid what if nobody comes in or no one has cash how are you supposed to sell??
It is annoying to have someone try to sell you stuff you dont want over and over!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If we don't sell enough in commission to cover our hourly wages, we lose our jobs. That is why you often see people at guitar center trying to sell you things; mainly so we can feed our families. It is not blind greed, I assure you. On average, If I don't sell roughly $2,500 a day, I owe the store money. If I still worked at a mom and pop store and sold that much; I would be able to build a new store in a year (believe me, i've been doing this since I was 19). It's how stores keep their lights on (and how Manny's in NYC didnt...)
$2,500 a day? That sounds like a lot.

What is average?

What if it's raining and no one comes in and you only sell like a pack of strings?

What is the commission structure like? Since there's no haggling, how much do you guys get of what you sell, or is it based on the item?

·
Registered
256 Posts
@SonicProvacateur

this is a bit off topic, but you don't by chance work at the GC in hoover do you? :)

To answer the OP's question, the GC in Hoover is usually pretty strict on haggling. I've only bought smaller items($500 tops) but when I go in this summer I expect to spend a couple thousand and expect to at LEAST get a free pack of strings :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
It's based on the item (which is why when you go in for a specific thing, the sales guy always tries to talk you into something else, he wants the sale that pays him the most.) Its a terrible system for both the employee and buyer.
Of course, GC is in bankruptcy now so hopefully we won't have them around killing the market much longer.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's based on the item (which is why when you go in for a specific thing, the sales guy always tries to talk you into something else, he wants the sale that pays him the most.) Its a terrible system for both the employee and buyer.
I have noticed that happening.

The same thing happens at GNC (health/vitamin/supplements store). If you don't do your research beforehand, the person there will try to talk you into buying another product that pays them a better commission. They'll tell you it's "better," sometimes with some made up scientific reasoning, even when it's not. I would be a terrible salesman like that. I'd be like "this is the one you want" even if it doesn't pay the best commission. I like helping people and would appreciate it if someone was honest with me if the situation were reversed.

Of course, GC is in bankruptcy now so hopefully we won't have them around killing the market much longer.
Going out of business sale?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I work at GC and no, as of 2008 there isn't anymore haggling. That's also because there is a 110% price guarantee from any retailer: as in if you find the price lower anywhere else, we will beat it by 10% of its lowest price.
Does that include haggled prices, or just sticker prices?

Everyone seems to have the same sticker prices.

Example: GC and another guitar store both have the same guitar priced at $699. GC won't haggle. The other store will give it to me for $650. Will GC meet that price + an additional 10% off?

I bet that's hard to swing. "Hey other store, can you give me this price in writing so I can go buy it from GC for even less?"

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'd be like "this is the one you want" even if it doesn't pay the best commission. I like helping people and would appreciate it if someone was honest with me if the situation were reversed.
This is how I am, which is probably why I don't have as high of sales as some of the more ultra-aggressive salesmen. Like I said, i've been doing music retail sales for 7+ years now and it's my life. I would rather put something in someone's hands they want or need than something they are going to take home and simply are unhappy with and will be unhappy with in their rig or financially later. I take my job very seriously and have always loved it.

Does that include haggled prices, or just sticker prices?

Everyone seems to have the same sticker prices.

Example: GC and another guitar store both have the same guitar priced at $699. GC won't haggle. The other store will give it to me for $650. Will GC meet that price + an additional 10% off?

I bet that's hard to swing. "Hey other store, can you give me this price in writing so I can go buy it from GC for even less?"
GC always tries to beat the industry in pricing. My first mom and pop store I worked in wouldn't price match at all and I had to watch a bunch of upset customers walk out the door. If you have a store, website, or magazine offer a guitar at price X and tell GC, they will pricematch it for that price and get the extra 10% off.

Edit: a guy came in the other day and bought a box of reeds, and I pricematched it for UNDER our cost, despite the money we technically paid him to take them home. I would have never done that at the other two stores I worked at. Great example of pricematching at work.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So GC pricematches off the web? (I assume this means legit stores and not eBay/Craigslist.)

A lot of stores don't do that.

Do they check to make sure the store is real, first? Someone could set up a fake online music store, put super low prices, and then have GC match those prices...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So GC pricematches off the web? (I assume this means legit stores and not eBay/Craigslist.)

A lot of stores don't do that.

Do they check to make sure the store is real, first? Someone could set up a fake online music store, put super low prices, and then have GC match those prices...
Correct. Several of those online music stores (used to) pricematch too (like zzsounds, [email protected], etc) but once you factor in shipping, etc it's cheaper to walk in, lay your hands on a piece of gear that you know you like and buy it and not worry about shipping damage and a troublesome returns claim process. Now if you think you can head to head a store and say "Oh, you offered to price cut this guitar down to $650." Then call store x back and say "GC priced it down to $585", you can't keep pricecutting down like that. I've had people try that before and it doesn't fly.

90% of stores want to give you a good deal so you can get the gear you want. We are all still musicians serving musicians too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts