Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cannot sharpen the knives because the base plate is on the way of the file when I position it at the same angle of the knife's edge

I could file the base plate to align it with the knife angle , but that seems like a dirty job.

Why others can file it without this obstacle?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I’m just guessing here, but shouldn't You take the knife edges out Before filing them? It does come apart doesn’t it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
You'll never get those knife egdes out without destroying them, and yeah you gotta file part of the bridge.

"I've got to update this part. I quit worrying about the bottom of the plate long ago. The pics show me taping off the bottom of the plate but currently I file the plate right along with the knife. It allows the angle of the file to be closer to the original angle of the knife and actually stabilizes the file and keeps it truer when filing. I'll try to update soon. "

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That's right. The knives do not come apart.

I did read the Ibanez Rules Tech Notes, but I didn't catch that part. So, I will file the plate all along with the knife edge.

This is how they look. Both have a small dent

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mission completed. I gave it a round shape finish with a 800 and 1000 grit wet sandpaper after filing

It doesn't look pristine under the magnifying glass, but it works like a charm

·
Registered
238 Posts
I cannot sharpen the knives because the base plate is on the way of the file when I position it at the same angle of the knife's edge

I could file the base plate to align it with the knife angle , but that seems like a dirty job.

Why others can file it without this obstacle?

View attachment 17336
Sorry for a rudimentary question.
why do you need to sharpen these blades? Like what does that do?

btw ping, you have the bestusername Pink Floyd but the ping your name ? Or your favorite golf brand?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for a rudimentary question.
why do you need to sharpen these blades? Like what does that do?

btw ping, you have the bestusername Pink Floyd but the ping your name ? Or your favorite golf brand?
"Sharpen" is not the most appropriate word, since they must not be sharp but slightly rounded. The edges had a dent at the point of contact with the post, so I just reshaped it.

"ping" is the sound at the beginning of Pink Floyd's Echoes . "pingfloid" is how you would say Pink Floyd in Spanish 😄

1 - 7 of 7 Posts