Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use an ADA MP1 preamp with a solid state power amp. I've been debating on buying one of two setups:

A: Crate VFX5212 and dropping the ADA altogether

B: Getting a Mesa 20/20 power amp and a Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab, to compliment my ADA.

Does anyone have any comments on the Crate V series tube amps? I can't find one *anywhere* to try out. I assume I can have the best of both worlds if I bought the Crate too..... as I suppose I could feed the ADA signal into the crate line in, effectively bypassing the preamp when I wanted the ADA sound.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
I played the 5-watt Crate V series - pretty cool, for a practice amp. Very contemporary high gain tone, and the single tone knob actually brought a lot of shadings to the table. I was seriously tempted to grab one as a project amp, and do a head conversion so I could run it with something other than a 8".

That said, I have yet to run into anything from Mesa that doesn't own. If you like the soubnd of your ADA, then I can't see how adding a 20/20 wouldn't be an improvement. The Crate, like I said, was pleasantly surprising, but it'll be a very different sounding beast.

-D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a reminder.
i ordered a new mesa 20/20 and it has been over a month and still no mesa.
They tell me they build them when someone orders them and with the great prices they are having they are backed up. CRAP PMO big time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts