Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to intonate my low E string on my 2016 Jem Jr. I removed the saddles when I installed a big brass block but think I got the saddles installed correctly.
I have the saddle for the low E as close to the neck as it can get yet the 12th fret is still flat :/ It's difficult to see what note it is exactly because the tuner starts moving back & forth when plucking the fretted note - guess it has to do with the tremolo?

Anyone had a similar problem & know what to do?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It solved the problem! Thanks!

Is there a permanent solution or will I need to lower the pickup every time I intonate?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pickup was parallel to the body - I never had a pickup that low but usually leave the bridge pickup at ~1,5 - 2mm distance to string, when fretting the last note, & 2 - 2,5mm for the neck pickup. I've never had this problem before, but I never used ceramic pickups before either..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a permanent solution for this problem?
Feels bad to have to lower the pickups Everytime I need to intonate.
Will replacing the ceramic Quantum's with Alnico 5 pickups help?

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
That pickup height is pretty high. DiMarzio recommends a starting point of 2.5 mm on the bridge pickup when fretting the last fret. I'd drop them at least until there if not lower. You'll get better intonation and sustain as a bonus.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Keep in mind that wound strings put out a lot more harmonics & subharmonics than unwound. The closer the pickup is, the more it will transmit to the output jack. That is what was driving your tuner nuts. It can't soft through all the harmonics to find a signal that matches the reference frequency. Bass strings are even worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts