Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this problem where by being lazy and such, pick up the guitar, and do the same old thing every single time - minor pentatonic this and fast alternate that, bit of a song, some modal noodling. I can't seem to shake the habit! I feel as though I can play quite well (after doing it so long) but realise that in reality, I can't play ANYTHING actually listenable, ok the first half of SWTA is listenable but thats about it, if someone asks me to play something for them, I dunno what to do - 'yeah listen to this really great finger excercise, look - see how I'm holding the neck properly and stuff' lol. Anyone else got this? Know how to get rid of it?

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Simple - start writing your OWN material (songs) I'm to the point where I refuse to even do ANY covers anymore. It's all our own material. Much more rewarding that way. Especially if people actually like it:lol: Incorporate what you've learned to practice (arpeggios / tapping, etc) into the song!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Mystical im in the same boat as you..

I recently decided to tackle some stuff I never have before.. Inspiration comes from everything.

Things that I have been playing alot lately and why.

Dave Matthews Band - He has such a weird take on the instrument, chords, and rhythms. Plus the music holds up on its own with out a full band.

Jazz...... Grab some Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, Take say a solo on Sax and try to mimic it on guitar. There phrasing is totally different then probably what your used to.

Classical - Just when you thought you had technique Classical will prove you otherwise. And not the typical Paganni stuff, try learning a piece your not familiar with if ya need some suggestions I can throw a few at ya

Chords - You can never learn enough chords.. Try variations of a chord or different positions and voicings.

I to fall in the rut of up and down the frets, and noodling practice exercises, But you need to find inspiration else where to provoke you to learn something new and fresh.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have the same problem, except on the acoustic guitar or an unplugged electrics because of the limitation, the best thing i would do is just play songs everyone knows, i learned songs from john mayer and stuff like that, or if you can, use an excercise, like sweep arpeggios and make a riff out of it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i have the oposite problem i dont learn scales and modes i tried but it just bored the hell out of me so learnt loads of songs from satch n vai malmsteen megadeth cooper ozzy sabbath maiden racer x and now im quite a capable guitarist and yea i know the basic scales but modes just screwed with my head i bought every type of book i could find and they all did a good jobn of nearly making me quit guitar lol so where as yo ucant stop pracricing i cant actually do it

·
Registered
881 Posts
listen to a different style of music. seek some new inspiration. go back to a favorite song you haven't listened to in a LONG time. these are some ideas. i usually break habits when i'm motivated to try something new.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
buy a real book, or a book with tunes you can just sort of sight read. With your scale knowledge you should be able to turn even a mundane song into something pretty happening, writing your own stuff is really important too. I write all the time. Riffs, licks, use that scale knowledge to write licks and riffs so you can do your own thang. Even if it someone elses tune you can make it your own.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I kind of just go with, moods, feelings, etc. If your feeling something or see something that makes you feel a certain way...pick up your guitar. Fill youself with that feeling and see what happens (always have recordability ready) If you come up with a riff in your head...put it to guitar and go from there. Sometimes I wake up with a tune in my head and have to run over and whistle it into the mic, lol. I have a terrible memory and if I don't get the fleeting idea recorded it's just that...fleeting.

Anyhoo.....write SONGS:) It's a great escape from the dull routine!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
well ive been practicing my bends cause I have no problem sliding to a bend, doing bends, etc etc.. My problem is hitting other strings, or other strings ringing when they shouldnt. I hate it, its my worst flaw in my playing.

Now I have practiced so much today my fingers are just raw, I took the callous(sp) off LOL..

So im going to have to do something else and come back to it :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jemuniverse777 said:
Use thou soul, dig deep for meaning to thyself.
Lol. Will do, thanks for suggestions.

Well, my guitar teacher is taking me through some jazz stuff - improvising over backing tracks, and I'm gonna try getting a few ideas down via computer to see if I can explore my um...inner self.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Little bit same here. I sometimes feel like I can't play any other peoples solo's, I have my own things I'm playing and writing. I can play riffs from other people but not so much solo's. Mainly I'm using pentatonic scales, some major scales and harmonic minor scale. I'm trying to come up with my own ideas and trying to play always something fresh and new while I improvise.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Steve Vai once said to try & disconect your self from what your hands are doing & feel the sound coming out of your Amp in sted of thinking about what your trying to play- i read that in one of the guitar mag's, bro you must find your self in the music you do, even in songs that aren't your own you add the magic needed, put some feeling to your playing & you will enjoy what your doing on the guitar.

Cheers- Jake.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi my name is Chris, and I'm a Guitar-Habit-O-holic Too! :)

I think the reason why most guitarists never improve is that we always play what we are comfortable with. It probably stems from a problem deeply rooted in procrastination. I'm sure deep within you, you have a bunch of licks or phrases within your head. Take those phrases out and transcribe them on your instrument.

Even if you've been doing the same exercises/patterns, it might be a good idea to mix them up ie. Use them with different intervals, scales, string skips, legato or whatever, or better yet use them as connecting phrases in your melodies.

I hope this helps, this has been a problem that I myself as a guitar player have been struggling for with the last couple of years. I think getting a new book, listening to a new player or whatever is good. But it's only going to take you THAT far in your quest to improve, actually getting there is really up to you :)

IT'S TIME TO BREAK OUT MAN!

·
Registered
809 Posts
jaken777 said:
Steve Vai once said to try & disconect your self from what your hands are doing & feel the sound coming out of your Amp in sted of thinking about what your trying to play- i read that in one of the guitar mag's, bro you must find your self in the music you do, even in songs that aren't your own you add the magic needed, put some feeling to your playing & you will enjoy what your doing on the guitar.

Cheers- Jake.
I can't agree more! This is what I'm trying to do.

·
Registered
484 Posts
same problem here :D

Even my written songs often sound like exercises strung together. People still say they like it,.. but hey.

So then I realized...

Stop, -think-, sing, play, repeat

And it actually turns out that the things in my head are quite fingertwisting ideas...

Worked for me ( in between the noodling and pentatonics )

·
Registered
937 Posts
I get into the same habbits of practicing chromatics to metronome, playing up and down the same scales and modes and generally doing the same thing over and over again.

It's got to the point where i know no songs and only exersizes, so when i'm in a guitar shop or something, i can't do jack except mess around with modes.

I've been told by my college tutors to hear where you are going and let you're brain do the work rather then your hands. I have the problem of letting my hands lead me and not having good phrasing etc.

Pain in the butt ;p;

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the opposite problem from a few of you....

I write a lot of songs and I never get bored of guitar... but I have never sat down and learnt the scales properly. I have learnt what sounds good after what note and I have a very good ear, but my actually playing ability is what is keeping me from turning my good songs into signable material.

I'm hoping that being joined up to Jemsite will help that problem, in saying that... I'm wasting time typing... I should be practising.

Lance

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.