Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been away from this site to avoid GAS for sometime now, but I find myself climbing the wall with GAS again and this is where it leads me. :)

Lately I've been checking out the Caparison guitars and I'm afraid I'm hellbent on getting one. I'm looking into the Dellinger and TAT models. Since they are hard to come by, I have no way of testing them hands-on.

Can anyone who's fortunate enough to have played both these axes, give some insight into the differences the wood and the neck assembly method make? (Feel, tone, sustain, action..)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
i own them both, in general :
dellinger is punchier than the TAT, maybe because the TAT has neck through construction, so the sustain will a little bit 'over' when you play with heavy distortion.

TAT is heavier in weight than the dellinger ( comparing TAT Frozen Sky vs Dellinger OIL Mahogany).

for those who likes unfinish/ satin finish kind of feel neck : Dellinger is the one.

neck access for both is quite the same, neck's feel is almost the same, except for the finishing differences.

body comfort :
TAT has curved top body with no arm rest, but the angled body to neck construction makes it quite comfortable to play, almost feel like a 'normal' guitar with arm rest to me.
Dellinger feels like any other guitar with arm rest, nothing special.

the neck dimension :
both has compond radius fingerboard.
both has thicker maple neck than any RGs, but yet has fast- feeling , I've been a Wizard neck fan for so long that I can't even remember, but switching to caparison TAT and dellinger's neck is not a big problem for me.

sounds :
high output pickups, deliver aggresive modern kind of raw distortion and singing leads.

controls :
push push tone know as coil switching makes the humbucker to coil tap, but makes no mistakes, you won't have sparkle single coil strat sound even in coil tap mode, because this is caparison, they meant to be 'heavy'.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I've had both. They're both awesome guitars and both come with the Caparison PH-F/PH-R pickups which are some of the best around. Psychoshredder pretty much summed it all up right there in his post. As of last monday I'm actually the official Canadian dealer/distributor for Caparison Guitars now so feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had both. They're both awesome guitars and both come with the Caparison PH-F/PH-R pickups which are some of the best around. Psychoshredder pretty much summed it all up right there in his post. As of last monday I'm actually the official Canadian dealer/distributor for Caparison Guitars now so feel free to ask me any questions you might have.
Canadian dealer for Caparison? Do you have a website where I can check out your stuff? A Caparison will probably be my next guitar once I saved enough. I was relying on the bay I didn't know there was a dealer in Toronto !!!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Canadian dealer for Caparison? Do you have a website where I can check out your stuff? A Caparison will probably be my next guitar once I saved enough. I was relying on the bay I didn't know there was a dealer in Toronto !!!
I just landed the Canadian exclusive dealership last week. The website has been taken down for rebuilding but I'm also waiting for my opening order. PM me for details though.

Cheers,

Budd

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congratulations on getting the dealership.

I think my mind is pretty made up now. TAT Frozen Sky it will be for me.
I'm sure any guitar you pick from the Caparison line would be awesome. I'd very much like to get a Dellinger and an Applehorn too if I have spare cash in the future:).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Budd is a great guy, just from how articulately and clearly he's spoken in the emails I've sent the last few days, he's not going to steer you wrong! If I had the money right now for a Caparison (sometime in the near future), I'd be going through him.

I've heard nothing but great stuff about dealing with him, I'm looking forward to trying a Caparison in Toronto myself soon.

Kris

·
Registered
340 Posts
It mainly comes down to if you prefer neckthrough or bolt on. Personally I like the Dellinger. I prefer the mohagany body and bolt on neck of the Dell to the Alder bodied TAT. However I prefer the Horus with a pickup swap to both. I also second the fact Budd is a heck of a guy. He has helped me out on the Caparison forum quite a bit. My name over there is yellowv03.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
hello Budd,

congrat on your caparison dealership.

I just wondering, I once read that the new dellinger 'PRO' model has special coated paint job to capture more low end frequency.
Is that true?
Thanks man.

The new PRO paint jobs stand for Progressive paint jobs. They're similar to the FD finishes except they're just one color and the finishes basically sit above the wood without seeping into the pores itself, allowing it to breathe and resonate more. The finish is supposed to produce more lower mids than standard finishes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
great! thank's man..
I'm thinking to add one more caparison, probably the new dellinger pro black.
or should I wait until they release the white one just like michael romeo's ?
If you like white you could always get the Chris Ammott sig. It is pretty awesome. Allthough the Romeo sig would have a maple board. We all know a white Dellinger with a maple board would be pure win.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well I've seen them twice - the first time they opened for Machinehead, the second they were headlining. They definitely sounded better the second time . . . I'd recommend checking them out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.