Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if anyone has played with one of these. I've only seen them in some of the Vai rig rundowns on YT, and I think they come standard on the JEM7V7.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I can think of no reason to get one of these. Same shape, same size, same feel, just slightly lighter. Purely a sales gimmik by ibanez if you ask me. Only reason to get one is the look imo. its not like the normal ones are super heavy to begin with lol

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
Huge difference in weight, huge difference in feel. It may seem gimmick to some but these pros don't just change something they constantly use without good reason, and they're not making a dime on the bar sales ;)

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see both sides, especially considering the price of these bad boys. But, as a heavy trem user I'd definitely like to at least check one out.

Rich, in addition to the 7V7, do these come standard with any other models?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Huge difference in weight, huge difference in feel. It may seem gimmick to some but these pros don't just change something they constantly use without good reason, and they're not making a dime on the bar sales ;)
Eh I played a js at guitar center with it, I didn't notice a huge difference in weight or feel. Were talking the difference of a couple ounces. Keep in mind the artists get $ from sales, gimmiks boost sales... how many people are spending 40 bucks to emulate their guitar heros? How can you say they aren't making money off it??? Lol

Guitarists need to make up their damn minds! Light or heavy. From titanium floyds for light weight tone to big brass blocks and trem claws for tone.... its all silly. If you need a lighter bar get an aluminum one. It would be lighter then carbon fiber (yes it will. These are wet layed carbon fiber, and would weigh more then an aluminum bar). The only reason for this is the "ooh-la-la" of carbon and the look it provides)

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
Please point out the guy that bought a JEM to get a UL bar, because that's the only way Steve is making any money from it.

Regular bar is 1.7oz, UL is .6, it's 1/3 the weight, much larger diameter, and has a very non slippery touch. They feel completely different, and are $90, not $40.

AFAIK nobody is making an aluminum Edge bar......

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Regular bar is 1.7oz, UL is .6, it's 1/3 the weight, much larger diameter, and has a very non slippery touch. They feel completely different, and are $90, not $40.

AFAIK nobody is making an aluminum Edge bar......
Wow... I didn't realize it was THAT much lighter.

On the topic of aluminum... I have to believe that the engineers at Ibanez were smart enough to have tried that during the "years in the making" and "road testing" that Satch referrs to in this video. Aluminum certainly would've been MY first thought, and I'm not an engineer. Though probably lighter and cheaper, my guess is aluminum turned out to be sub-optimal for some reason.

The reason I'm so curious about these UL bars is because I want the bar to stay where I put it (near my playing hand)... without having to constantly change the bushings, add nail polish, etc. when it gets loose. And I do NOT want the Floyd-style arm mod. Seems like the bushings on a bar that weighs only .6oz would last longer before needing to be replaced.

Of course, I'm not sure I'm ready to pay $90 for the UL bar either. Yowza! Hence the reason for this thread...

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
They used to make Joe titanium bars.

The Synchroni bars are either titanium or aluminum, super light, but for the ZR2/EZ holder [no bushing on the bar]

Even with the UL it would need some grip from the bushings to stay in place.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Another benefit is that the tremolo will be better balanced. The guitar is usually set up without the bar attached. Adding the weight of the arm will pull the tremolo in the direction it's pointing (which for many is not straight down).

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Wow... I didn't realize it was THAT much lighter.

On the topic of aluminum... I have to believe that the engineers at Ibanez were smart enough to have tried that during the "years in the making" and "road testing" that Satch referrs to in this video. Aluminum certainly would've been my first thought, and I'm NOT an engineer. Though probably lighter and cheaper, my guess is aluminum turned out to be sub-optimal for some reason.

The reason I'm so curious about these UL bars is because I want the bar to stay where I put it (near my playing hand)... without having to constantly change the bushings... or add nail polish... or do the Floyd-style arm mod.
Aluminum has a large majority of the properties of titanium at 1/10th the cost. The only reason to get titanium (in this context) is because its exotic, same as this carbon fiber trem bar. The main key difference between titanium and aluminum is that aluminum has much lower heat resistance for corrosion purposes, and some alloys exhibit corrosion over time, whereas titanium does not. Why they never made an aluminum bar, I'm not certain, as it would give the same effect as it would have given the same effect as this carbon fiber or titanium bar.

If your edge bar is flopping around its because the bushings are shot and need to be replaced...

Regular bar is 1.7oz, UL is .6, it's 1/3 the weight, much larger diameter, and has a very non slippery touch.
For those that compare 1.7 oz to .6 oz... thats roughly equivalent to 5 sheets of standard printing paper. Edit: my bad on the price, that merely furthers my point though. 90$ for 5 sheets of paper in weight, and s lightly different shape at the tip. I don't know about you, but my hands never "Slip off" the trem bar", nor does the original bar feel "heavy". Im sorry to point this out to you, as a seller, but its silly and you should know it. Its a gimmick, and should be focused on looks. I'm also POSITIVE joe and steve aren't "making a dime" doing promotional videos for this bar... *eye roll*

Another benefit is that the tremolo will be better balanced. The guitar is usually set up without the bar attached. Adding the weight of the arm will pull the tremolo in the direction it's pointing (which for many is not straight down).
yet again, we're tlaking about the weight of a couple sheets of paper. The tremolo is balanced with over a 100 pounds of force on either end, 1.1 ounces isn't going to change ANYTHING.

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
It's 7 sheets, I just scaled them, and BTW, paper is not exactly light weight.

You can feel any way you want about them, I rolled my eyes when I first saw it, but guess what, others want it and are very willing to pay the $90 to buy it.

It has a very different feel in the hand, and light weight cuts way down dramatically on the sprung weight. The reason they made Joe titanium bars is because he hates flutter and the lighter the bar, the less is will flutter, which is perplexing why Steve is using it but then he has very advanced technique.

And you know absolutely nothing about what endorsees are and are not paid for. They are contract obligated to do LOTS of things. So open mouth, insert foot, and stop trying to make anybody that might actually like, or want to try the new bar, look like a fool.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think its a cool product, I absolutely love carbon fiber. Id get one simply for the look alone! I just think its a tad misleading to say its a huge difference is all. Not trying to dissaude anyone from getting one, merely stating facts of the materials... the js I jammed on didn't feel much different at all compared to the normal bar, sorry???

·
Vendor
26,325 Posts
Just the diameter alone has a huge difference in feel in the hand. And if 1/3 the weight isn't a huge difference, maybe they'll have to make the next version out of solidified air ;)

1 - 20 of 100 Posts