Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey found out this week that I have mild carpal tunnel in my right wrist (not caused by guitar playing). I realise that I need to concentrate on changing my picking/strumming technique so that I'm using more of my elbow/shoulder when playing.

Now it's always hard changing playing techniques when you've been playing for 13 years in a particular fashion. Has anyone else been through the same problem and did they have an easy way of adjusting how they played? Perhaps strapping arm in a certain way to avoid doing more damage to the wrist, and help change technique?

Any help is greatly appreciated, my band is ready to hit the clubs playing live and I want to avoid making this take longer than it already has. I want to get back on stage as soon as possible!

·
Registered
500 Posts
It helps to know what's causing your carpal tunnel. In my case it's due to excessive keyboard/mouse use (mostly mouse). I installed a program on my computer that makes me take breaks at regular intervals, and that's helped a bit. I also switched from using a mouse to using the touchpad on my laptop---this has helped the most. At least now the tingling numbness from my shoulder to my fingertips is gone...

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah mines from mousework too. It's work related so I'm covered at work for this stuff. Both wrists are sore but carpal tunnel only seems to be in right. I'm looking at getting a trackball to try out. I want to minimise the effects from guitar playing though.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
"Workpace" I think is the software. Have it here at work. It prevents you from continuing to use your computer for an extended period of time, letting your muscles relax again after a while of use. It really helps. The downside is when you have a good train of thought, are typing, and this software says "STOP - time to relax".
I got used to it.

One thing I noticed was that the scroll button on the mouse was the thing that did the most damage. I used my middle finger to roll that button, and apparently the strain that action puts on your muscles from the knuckle to the elbow is worse that other things.

I heard that trackballs are worse, especially if the ball makes you raise your fingers. The touchpad is one of the best I heard.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice thanks! Guess I should stop using the scroll wheel so much then, or get one that has the scroll on the side maybe (I think you can get them).

I'm just mostly concentrating on moving the mouse from the elbow and shoulder rather than the wrist at the moment.

I don't know if I can install that sort of software on my work pc - i'm in a Government department and they don't really like software being installed too much. I'll have a look in to it though. Thanks peeps!

Any other ideas for guitar playing though?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.