Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am really interested in purchasing a combo amp,just curious if any one could tell me a little more about the difference between the vai legacy combo and the peavey jsx combo,thanx

·
Registered
313 Posts
jsx is more mesa/boogy-ish as I know and legacy is more vintage style. depends on you. if you want to play something heavy take jsx if u like classic rock take legacy.

correct me jemsiters if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I bought a JSX head last December, and it has the best combination of sounds available from a single amp that I've played to date. I'd classify the JSX as having the clean of a Fender Twin, the crunch of a Marshall JCM800 and the Ultra gain of a Peavey XXX.

The high gain Ultra channel is similar to a Mesa Rectumfrier, but not as warm, due to the EL34 tubes in the Peavey as opposed to the 6L6s in the Mesa. I prefer the EL34 sound, but your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
In cases like this always always always always go for the amp with the best clean channel.... gain can always be added later in FX....

You can get a carvin belair quite cheap and it has very similar (identical to me and I have both ;)) clean channel to the legacy for less than 1/2 the price.... plus it has a nice vintage vibe.

If you do get a belair... then get it retubed too.... its cheap and you wont regret it

·
Registered
37 Posts
ScreamJem7 said:
I bought a JSX head last December, and it has the best combination of sounds available from a single amp that I've played to date. I'd classify the JSX as having the clean of a Fender Twin, the crunch of a Marshall JCM800 and the Ultra gain of a Peavey XXX.

The high gain Ultra channel is similar to a Mesa Rectumfrier, but not as warm, due to the EL34 tubes in the Peavey as opposed to the 6L6s in the Mesa. I prefer the EL34 sound, but your mileage may vary.
I also bought one recently and Im loving it! Very Versitile. Its a 3 channel amp as opposed to the Legacy which is only 2 channels.Its nice not having to fiddle with using something in the effects loop to use for a lead boost. As you stated the crunch channel can sound very Marshall or can blow right past it in terms of gain! Hell I can go on about it but for me this amp is "it"!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
ScreamJem7 said:

EL34s not as warm as 6L6s? WHAT????!?!?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
red5 said:
EL34s not as warm as 6L6s? WHAT????!?!?
Maybe I used the wrong term trying to describe something that is indescernable to 99% of the general public.

To me, the distorted tones from a 6L6 equipped amp are smoother or warmer when compared to the gritty, biting tone of an amp loaded with EL34s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts