Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so we all understand the nature of the force difference between storing your axe in a case or keeping it on a stand. I'd say we all have our preferences, so please share your experiences with either or both. I am not a professional with a guitar, as I am still learning to play the damn thing, even tho I have 3 very nice Ibanez MONSTERS.
For the record, I keep all of my 3 guitars in their respective cases. Keeps the dust/moisture/etc. off of the guitars. The only time I use a stand is when I am practicing with any given guitar and I have to take a leak...
I know that many of you keep your guitars on stands, likely because you play all of them alot, and switch out different ones for different purposes, but I'd like like people to chime in and share their preferences...
Cheers!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess I'm no different. I keep all my guitars in their cases and have bought cases for my guitars which didn't include a case when bought. I have kept them at at walls for display in the past, but my experience down the road was that all guitars which were once at my wall for longer periods of time, showed more signs of corrosion and faded more.

So, I have kept them in cases for over 15 years now and only take them out when played and clean them thoroughly when put back after playing. Knowing there might be a chance I don't get to play again for a few days.

I use a stand indeed when visiting the small room if nearby or else I lay them in the case in the meanwhile.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well, I have most of mine out of their cases. My two most expensive and nicest guitars stay in their cases, but every other guitar is in a rack or on a stand.

I have multiple cases that look the same and it was a pain in the ass to have to move multiple cases and open them to see which guitar is in it in the first place. They are otherwise all out, and I can easily pick what I want to play.
Musical instrument Musician Guitar Plucked string instruments Guitar accessory

Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I always keep them out on the wall. Though my guitars are in a finished basement... In a room with no windows, and a dehumidifier in the basement that keeps everything dry down there. So it's pretty much ideal conditions for keeping them out. I discovered that if they are all out I play them all more... Which I like. A guitar that takes effort to get to is a guitar less played. Plus cases take up more room. I have a hard case for every guitar I own, I just keep them stored and out of the way.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have 4 electrics, a bass and and acoustic.
2x wall hangers (out of direct sunlight) and a stand. So i leave one electric out alongside the acoustic and bass. Then keep the other 3 in cases. Once a month or so I cycle through the guitar that stays out.

This month is JS1000 month. The 3 on my avatar are in their cases.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have three very nice guitars, a MIA Strat and two MIJ Ibby's, an RG Prestige and an AZ 2204N. They are out and played daily.

I have all of my regularly played guitars (5) and my banjo on wall hangers. I keep the one I'm currently playing on the stand. I am retired and have no children around to mess with them. My elderly dog does come into my office/music room and do a brush stroke with her tail from time to time. Heck, she sounds as good as me. ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have three very nice guitars, a MIA Strat and two MIJ Ibby's, an RG Prestige and an AZ 2204N. They are out and played daily.

I have all of my regularly played guitars (5) and my banjo on wall hangers. I keep the one I'm currently playing on the stand. I am retired and have no children around to mess with them. My elderly dog does come into my office/music room and do a brush stroke with her tail from time to time. Heck, she sounds as good as me. ;)
Sounds good!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have 9 average guitars.

The least played sits in a gig bag. The other 8 are in a 8 slot stagg rack. I intend to mod it to accept 10.

I only own 4 cases and a gig bag.

I don't pay for cases that i will never use, nor will I store them.
Interesting. I only have 3 guitars but keep them in a case. Some people here like cases, others don't. To each their own! Thanks for chiming in GCLEF!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting. I only have 3 guitars but keep them in a case. Some people here like cases, others don't. To each their own! Thanks for chiming in GFlef!!!
I like cases. They are great for storage and transportation. All of my nice guitars have hard cases. I have a gig bag for couple. I just like to keep my guitars out where I can use them. Since I am retired and the risk of damage is small, I leave them on wall hangers and one is pretty much always on a stand for quick access.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I like cases. They are great for storage and transportation. All of my nice guitars have hard cases. I have a gig bag for couple. I just like to keep my guitars out where I can use them. Since I am retired and the risk of damage is small, I leave them on wall hangers and one is pretty much always on a stand for quick access.
I have one wall hanger too. I use it for the currently played guitar. The rack sits in my closet where it is safe from kids and cats, though they both seem to know not to touch or play around my guitars, where ever they are.

Maybe i give off an ogre vibe?

10 cases take up about 5 feet of wall space and about 30 cubic feet of volume.

My empty cases are sitting vertical and flat against the wall behind my clothes, hidden.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Cases are FANTASTIC for temperature protection, dust on the electronics, fretboard, strings, and basically every element of that axe, etc, and maybe even not having to adjust the truss rod (as frequently). Cases are fantastic in that manner. I'f you're wearing a gig bag, and some jackass jogger nails you from behind you on either side, there's the risk of damage, and the risk of dropping the whole thing. I'd be (somewhat) concerned with a hard case, but not overly, as a gig bag could mean serious damage. The same kind of damage you'd like to hammer that jackass jogger with. A hard case protects all of that, just my two cents folks. Of course, I only have 3 guitars and 3 cases (all Ibanez cases - the M300C), whereas most of you cats have over like, 10 guitars. I can see why cases would be somewhat unwieldy. However, it does come down to the protection of the guitar, and a case will win every single time.
- Cheers!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cases are FANTASTIC for temperature protection, dust on the electronics, fretboard, strings, and basically every element of that axe, etc, and maybe even not having to adjust the truss rod (as frequently). Cases are fantastic in that manner. I'f you're wearing a gig bag, and some jackass jogger nails you from behind you on either side, there's the risk of damage, and the risk of dropping the whole thing. I'd be (somewhat) concerned with a hard case, but not overly, as a gig bag could mean serious damage. The same kind of damage you'd like to hammer that jackass jogger with. A hard case protects all of that, just my two cents folks. Of course, I only have 3 guitars and 3 cases (all Ibanez cases - the M300C), whereas most of you cats have over like, 10 guitars. I can see why cases would be somewhat unwieldy. However, it does come down to the protection of the guitar, and a case will win every single time.
- Cheers!!!
Hard, fitted cases are definitely best for travel and storage. :)

I just like my players out to make them accessible. They never collect dust. ;)

Here are my "Players" hangin'

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Light
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Light

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hard, fitted cases are definitely best for travel and storage. :)

I just like my players out to make them accessible. They never collect dust. ;)

Here are my "Players" hangin'

View attachment 18964 View attachment 18964
How is it that, they never collect dust? Do you dust them off periodically, or do you alternate guitars between wall mount and case storage?

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
- Cheers!!!
Amen ! 😎

1 - 20 of 38 Posts