Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else with a standard Jem 7VWH think that the middle pickup sounds a little weak. I know its just because its single coil but it really sounds terrible with my equipment. I want to find a better pickup... any suggestions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I gave it two thumbs down. I really didn't find a need for nor did it sound very good. When I replaced the pups last week, I just disconnected it. I was also amazed that the stock wiring for my '03 had hum in positions 2, 3 and 4. Thats just poor design for this caliber of guitar. I changed mine to a HH config. I get a lot more use out of all 5 positions now. 2 and 4 are much more stratish, usable and hum free!!

If I was to judge the pup on its own versus other single coils, I'd look for something with more body and tone

Just my .02

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, with my equipment it gives me too much of a ygnwie type tone. Its almost like the strings are putting off more power than the pickup can take, I was really expecting alot from Ibanez. On the web site it says its supposed to sound warm and welcoming like a strat, but mine is just full of hiss and discustingly low sustain.

BTW: I never really understood wiring for guitars, do you have any photos of you taking the center pickup out and just bypassing it. Maybe if i see what it should look like wired then i will get a better idea. But if im not 100% sure, then ill take it to a professional.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The pickup "might" have a warm sound to it, but you won't be able to tell b/c it's in the middle position. If it was in the neck position you'd be better able to tell what it's characteristics are. I've found that the middle pup is better utilized in parallel with the neck and the bridge. I rarely use it alone.

I completely re-wired the guitar, so it's not as simple as just removing a wire or two. If you're brave I'll be happy to send you the wiring diagram that I used. Otherwise a professional is probably a good option, especially on such a nice guitar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's the point, it should be used with neck or bridge (Pos. 2 and 4).
I agree, but that leaves pos 3 useless. HH configs make pos 3 much more useful. OR a wiring change that doesn't leave the middle pickup in use by itself. You can get very creative with the 5 total coils in a HSH config. I wish that Ibanez would utilize the 5 coils better than they do. Heck, even the standard Stratocaster wiring is flawed b/c pos 2 has two tone pots active which changes the overall resistance which dulls the sound.

Mine has such a volume drop its annoying and if I raise it up to compensate I hit it with my pick and it gets in the way
I didn't understand that either. I replaced it with a pup with flat poles that don't get in the way, even though it's flush with the pickguard. The open space is another reason I'm a fan of HH configs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The HH is a good idea, but wont removing that pickup really lower the value of this thing? I dont plan on selling it, but you never know. I might just ignore the stupid sound of it for now (i dont really use pos 3 that much anyway) and deal with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I replaced the neck and bridge pickup, so I wasn't worried about it. I did keep the original pups grouped together and in the same condition as they were straight out of the pickguard. If I ever sell it, which I won't, I'll put the Evos back in there.

If you're not willing to a) get in there yourself and change the wiring or b) pay someone to rewire it or c) buy new parts, wire them up and pull the old parts in order to preserve them for future resale, then you're probably better off leaving it as is.

I hate to say that b/c I really don't like the default wiring scheme and I feel your pain, but I don't suggest that you experiment with rewiring a guitar on your Jem. Any mistakes or damage will only lead to regrets on your part. I think you'd be more upset if something went wrong

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you'd be more upset if something went wrong
Yeah, god forbid. I would be forced to do it myself to, because there are no guitar shops where i live. I have to get strings and everything offline haha so it would be hard for me to find a place that would be able to fix it up for me. Im pretty sure im leaving it as is. Thanks everybody.

Cheers
Dylan

·
Registered
953 Posts
I agree, never use pos 3 myself, but, I do use 2 and 4!
I was thinking of re-wiring the selector so position 3 did something useful like both HB or both HB tapped, I even thought of a variation of the HH wiring,
1 Neck HB normal
2 Neck HB parallel
3 Neck HB tapped + SC
4 Bridge HB tapped + SC
5 Bridge HB normal
If I work out a circuit I'll post it here...
Jim

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
Yep, I do.

I find that the volume drop works to reduce the gain on the amp nicely and cleans up the tone.

I've always thought that the twin humbucker arrangement always lacks a true single coil sound, even if you go for the "Petrucci" style switching system. I'd rather have it available than just sitting there. Granted though I do find myself using positions 2 or 4 more often than 3, but I still use it from time to time :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts