Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My main guitar (that I bought way back in 1991) in my red Ibanez RG770DX...and although I absolutely love it, I never really liked the fact that the pickups are mounted to the clear pickguard...I actually don't like the clear guard, since dirt and crap gets under it and it always looks dirty. For this reason, I want to get rid of my pickguard, but the pickups are mounted to it. I've done some of my own repair work to the guitar, so I know a little how it's put together...how hard is it to direct mount the pickups on this guitar? I still have the factory USA pickups, and will probably change pickups as well. Any suggestions or any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Yeah, the whole "direct mount vs. pickguard mount" gets WAY more attention than it should, IMO - there's not enough difference between the two to make an audible difference in tone, keeping all other variables the same.

If you don't like dirt getting under the clear pickguard, change it out to something that isn't a clear pickguard. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
What Drew said ^
Non clear PG
Stuff a bunch of foam under and around the pickups it will give the same effect as screwing them right into the wood (well close anyway and yeah you probably can't hear the difference especially with a hi gain amp)

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
You can get clear pickguards on certain online auction sites that are cut for direct-mount pickups. I used to have one when I was working on a PMC clone. Personally if it was my guitar I'd direct-mount the pickups but use one of those pickguards so I wasn't stuck with ugly screw holes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts