Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got an 86 Roadstar 2 SN C863345, and I was looking at changing the pickups on it...I was looking at hotrails, but wasn't too sure about what humbucker to go with... anyone have any experience in this for that guitar??

I'm looking for an Iron Maiden sound... anyone know if I can get pickguard for 3 singles that will fit, in that case I'd just like a Strat setup...

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You'd always be able to find a pickguard, depending on where you are. I believe you can get un-drilled guards to be able to match exactly what you have.

I don't know what Iron Maiden use, as pickups in general but I would assume something very 80's like a SuperDistortion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I read a little late last night and found Dave used Dimarzio Super Distortions at the bridge and neck, and it was the stock fender pickup in the middle...I could put in a Virtual Vintage 2.1 in the middle to match things up.

Now for the pickgaurd... does anyone know of anywhere online I can pick one up in an HSH configuration that will fit the roadstar 2 ?

I was thinking lastnight as well, I could just cut the slot in the current pickgaurd to accomodate the humbucker in the neck position.

And one more question before I dive into this project... if I choose to modify my pickgaurd, I've noticed that on all the HSH setups, the middle pickup is mounted straight, while mine is on a slight angle... will this make a difference at all in sound??

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little more research this morning... how would this combo work?

I can keep my stock pickgaurd:

All Dimarzio PUs

1) Super Distortion Humbucker at the bridge DP100
2) DP401 in the middle
3) DP218 at the neck

The 218 is apparently like the Super Distortion but fits the single coil.. this would give me the 2 Super Distortions available, and the 401 is a vintage strat sound for the middle... anyone see problems with this setup??

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I wouldn't put a 218 in the neck. I think it will be very muddy. I would have a fast track 1 in the middle and a Chopper in the neck instead, or just have two choppers in there (or two fast track 1's).

For the guards, try the pickguard paradise banner up there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.