Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I like the idea of them making non fine tuner floyds again. I checked FR site and didn't see one. I had one but traded it for something I needed worse. I will be keeping an eye on that one.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It makes me a little happier that even the amazing GG likes dots on his neck.

I suppose he'll use that puppy to melt my face in person next week! :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL its been a while since I'm here And I have no idea that guthrie has a signature with charvel.
Guthrie started using them at the end of 2012. Guthrie & Suhr ended their mutual agreement and endorsment for whatever personal reasons they had (unknown to the public).
Since then Guthrie played a prototype Charvel and had several more.

·
Registered
174 Posts
He will say, my signature Charvel is the best you can get, A few months earlier it was his signature Suhr, wonder what its gonna be in another few months...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He will say, my signature Charvel is the best you can get, A few months earlier it was his signature Suhr, wonder what its gonna be in another few months...
Let´s bring a little nuance here.

Guthrie never said that his signature is the best you can get, only that he his guitars really pleases him and that people might like them too if they have the opportunity to check them out.

Some artists do switch endorsement deals like underwear, some don´t. Steve Vai, Yngwie, Satriani and a few others stayed their lives up until now with ´their´ brand. Eddie Van Halen is on the other end of the spectrum.

It´s been known that Guthrie owned or played publicly Fender Strats, Jazzmasters, Ibanez Jem & RG, PRS, Suhr classics, Standards and Moderns in the past, owns a Gibson SG from 1963, and a 335 among others.

The man likes his guitars to be diverse to say the least.

Guthrie was officially with Suhr from 2007 to the end of 2012. He is now official with Charvel. No other endorsements, only these two, although i hear that Red Bear Picks has something special in the future.

It´s not based on facts to say that he will change brands again in a few months just to make a quick buck. I guess we will see.

Anyway, here´s a pic of the Charvels, on the right is the Floyd Rose model and the one on the left is the Gotoh 510 with the bent steel saddles.

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
My favourite thing is that he's taken a while to come out with this rather than jumping ship to a new signature model immediately.

It just needs a monkey grip and I'd consider picking one up. I can scallop the top couple of frets myself and enlarge the lower cutaway. Rout out enough space for a proper trem, can of green spray paint and a few stickers and I think we're about set ;)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
doesn't he also have an endorsement with Vigier? or does he just do demos for them?
Good point, he also demo'd the Vigier Surfreter. No endorsement though.

My favourite thing is that he's taken a while to come out with this rather than jumping ship to a new signature model immediately.

It just needs a monkey grip and I'd consider picking one up. I can scallop the top couple of frets myself and enlarge the lower cutaway. Rout out enough space for a proper trem, can of green spray paint and a few stickers and I think we're about set ;)
LOL

Don't forgot to add REAL DiMarzio's after the green neon spray paint.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Some artists do switch endorsement deals like underwear, some don´t. Steve Vai, Yngwie, Satriani and a few others stayed their lives up until now with ´their´ brand. Eddie Van Halen is on the other end of the spectrum.
My comment was actually not aimed at Guthrie in particular, even though I understand it could easily be interpreted that way. It was more like a general comment about how it seems like everyone is endorsed these days, and have a new signature coming out, and that many of them switch, as you say, brands like underwear.

It was much less common back then, so the artists that got endorsed back then, it seems like it was much more genuine.

Vai, Malmsteen, etc, to them it actually meant something to be endorsed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love the old Floyds! Set 'em up Brad Gillis and Vinnie Vincent style! :)

There are a few left here apparently.....

musiciansarsenal.com

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I got to see them last night at the show, they are beautiful. Guthrie loves the necks, I can see why, they look very well done. Tone monsters.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts