Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other 7 strings are there on the market under £400, apart from the RG7321 and Schecter Omen 7?

I'd prefer standard 25.5 scale, and am not bothered about whether it has a trem...

It seems Washburn, Jackson and all have stopped doing 7 strings :(

·
Registered
883 Posts
What about the Agile Interceptor. 27.5" scale and at one point had DiMarzio Blazes in them. $400 USD

Other than that, the used and closeout market is always good to turn to.

·
Registered
636 Posts
go used, keep an eye out. i dunno how it is over in the UK, but i just scored an S7420FMTT mint for $450 at the guitar center here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
NeglectedField said:
what?? Washburn still makes them!

Washburn WG-587 : $200 on Music(111+11+1)
only part i don't like about it is that they don't have a trem. or flyod rose, and the headstock is a 7/. i would like a 3-4, but besides that, its a steal for $200, maybe even cheaper on da Bay.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a reason why this guitar is so cheap. The other guitarist in my band bought one from music***. It seems to work fair enough, only staying in tune seems to be a problem. And I would definitely change the pick-ups, although he hasn't yet...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Washburn doesnt make the WG587 anymore, Musiconetwothree is still selling them from their own large stock of them. (At least thats what I hear)

However, Washburn IS currently making a 7 string, the X17. Its basically a WG587 with a basswood (rather than alder) body, offset dots, string thru, and an update to Washburn's usual goofy headstock, which looks wierd this large imo. The price is the same at $200. Check it:

I played this guitar in Sam Ash a few weaks ago, and it was impressive for the price. The neck was pretty thin, and very playable. The frets werent the best, and the rosewood end was pretty nasty, but eh, get what you pay for.
I adjusted to it instantly, and overall I liked it, but If I were to get one(a 7), I'd have to grab the WG587, as Im an alder freak, plus it has a 5 way.

Either way you look at, you now have a choice if you go the cheap Washburn route. The sweet offset dots are killing me, but alder is the best! And who doesnt like a Ibanez headstock ripoff;)?

\00/

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A problem with most of these suggestions (as helpful and as appreciated as they are) is that I live in the UK, and I don't even see any 7 string models on the Washburn official site, let alone there being very few Washburn distributors in the UK.

I've considered Maverick, who at least did some 7 strings (none currently on official site) but I see no 7 string mavericks in local guitar shops, which is a shame cos I need to try a guitar before parting with the cash...

·
Registered
883 Posts
NeglectedField said:
A problem with most of these suggestions (as helpful and as appreciated as they are) is that I live in the UK, and I don't even see any 7 string models on the Washburn official site, let alone there being very few Washburn distributors in the UK.

I've considered Maverick, who at least did some 7 strings (none currently on official site) but I see no 7 string mavericks in local guitar shops, which is a shame cos I need to try a guitar before parting with the cash...
If you knew someone in the US, you could always have them place the order, then mail it to you once they receive it. Shipping is expensive, but not as much as the markup you folks in the UK have to pay.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Demiurge said:
If you knew someone in the US, you could always have them place the order, then mail it to you once they receive it. Shipping is expensive, but not as much as the markup you folks in the UK have to pay.
In addition to this, if you make a friend at one of the US Air Force bases it's VERY cheap to send something to a base address. Especially from the east coast. It only cost me $20 to ship a guitar over there (insured) and best of all... NO VAT!!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sanitarium said:
Can't remember exactly what i paid for it but I got a ESP LTD, with FR trem for about £300. Kick ass guitar.
Is it a 7 string? I did try a 7 string FR ESP/LTD at the London Guitar show. Wasn't bad, shame the sellers didn't have an allen key so it could be tuned properly...

Only 7 strings ESP/LTD are doing at the moment are the Stephen Carpenter ones, and they're out of my price range...

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
NeglectedField said:
What other 7 strings are there on the market under £400, apart from the RG7321 and Schecter Omen 7?

I'd prefer standard 25.5 scale, and am not bothered about whether it has a trem...

I think the 7321 is about the best in it's price range, and they can be found on the 'bay for good prices. I was looking earlier today and saw a brand new one for £284. I would like one myself.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
technomancer said:
Music 1 2 3 has an exclusive Epiphone "goth" flat black 7 string Les Paul for $299.
Just took a look at that. Looks interesting but I had an Epiphone LP before, not really suited to my technique, so a 7 string version would probably be much worse. Looks like I will settle for an RG7321 cos it'll be the most familiar feel.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I see those Washburn 7s on eb all the time, they seem to go cheap, I think they look pretty cool. I'd say get a nice used Ibanez RG 7620. Mine still never lets me down.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Deeswift said:
I think the 7321 is about the best in it's price range, and they can be found on the 'bay for good prices. I was looking earlier today and saw a brand new one for £284. I would like one myself.
I just saw one with a £129 BIN on the 'bay. I bought a 7621 for £300 and thats a really great guitar; lovely neck and a great sound. A 7620 just went for £255. Watch the 'bay!!!!! Great UK deals on 7621s and 7620s.

And this for interest: 7423384494

1 - 20 of 35 Posts