Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

not got many posts on here :p so thought i would try and build them up by asking about my new quest here.

next year (or sooner, if i get a sudden influx of cash) i want to buy myself a 7 string, but i dont want it to have a floyd rose style trem. (as the Prestige RG2550 i'm buying in a few weeks will have that for 6 strings)

i dont want it to be too expensive, as i will be replacing the pickups on it and completely changing the colour scheme by giving it a red/black swirl.
due to this the finish is not important, so i'll be looking on the ecove for one.

what would be a good guitar to look out for? preferably with a fast neck.

i'm also in the UK, so that will affect prices *yawn*

S.INC

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hello, welcome to the Jemsite family, as you know we all TRY (we TRY) to help out one another here with our guitar issues, and I think youll find this site very informative, inspirational and money burning, :) As to your question, I was also looking for a non-trem 7 string, and since I love Ibanez's RG body shape, i HAD to go with the RG7321, great guitar, some people dont like it, but i think stock it sounds 7/10, now, with a change of pickups and maybe a color scheme (black guitars tend to bore me, as mine are all mostly black) this guitar would be a monster, so I suggest the Ibanez RG7321, cost me 399.99 US Doll.

PS, SORRY for the LOONG repsonse, :)

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I too am looking for an inexpensive 7 string and am leaning heavily towards the LTD Viper 407.
24 frets set neck, EMG 707 pickups, hardtail and pretty inexpensive $400-500 i think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i was looking at the 7321 actually, but i wasnt sure on it, as here in sunny england lol, a "good" ibanez will start at about £500 upwards (bout $1000 i think)

and with the 7321 costing only £300 it seemed like a very budget model, and i wasnt sure of the quality of the neck etc.

i'll be putting Blaze's in it, and giving it a swirl, so that should bring everything else up to scratch on it.

what are the necks like on them?

no worries for the long reply, i prefer them that way, means your passionate about what you have to say i guess.

i have noticed an old thread in the classifieds section http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32148&highlight=RG7421
yet it states that the neck has a bubinga stripe, which is present in the 7321 but not the 7421.

is the 7421 significantly better than the 7321?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a RG7321 and the neck is very good, the fretwork isn't of the standard of a MIJ but it's a nice feeling, well built neck. Get a fret-job and it'll be super. I had a universe UV7 and the RG7321's neck is close on as nice. Different finish but the shape is very similar.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn! That whole Carvin thing didnt work out so well! Oh well. Carvin rules. Top quality parts for cheap! and they do lots of custom work for really cheap!!!! Im getting a custom guitar from them for under $1000!!! Its got a
mahogany body
maple neck
tung oiled neck
active/passive pickups
ebony fretboard
jumbo frets
neck thru
my name on the truss rod cover
and a hard case
in white!!! My favorite color!!!!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
elcid said:
I too am looking for an inexpensive 7 string and am leaning heavily towards the LTD Viper 407.
24 frets set neck, EMG 707 pickups, hardtail and pretty inexpensive $400-500 i think.
The average price on those is about $629.

Sidewinder, if you're wanting to go the Ibanez route (which it looks like you do), you can get a used RG7621 or RG7421. Or, buy a new RG7321 for just over 3 bills. All these guitars are excellent & they just SCREAM for customization!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, since you want a cheap 7-string without a trem, I saw a Washburn on music-123 not too long ago, so you might want to try there. I think it was under $300, so that's a plus, right? ;p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my current guitar kinda looks like an AX, so wouldnt be after one of those :)

as i'm buying it to completely redo the finish on the body and replace the pickups, surely all i need to worry about is the finish on the neck?

i can buy a 7321 for £270, so after "doing it up" it would be about £400
i can buy a 7421 for about £380-400 (havent found any cheaper than that in the UK :() so after doing it up it would be about £500-520

would it be worth the extra £100 just for the better neck on the 7421? or would i not notice much difference?

KR

Sidewinder

1 - 20 of 32 Posts