Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, basically I'm uprgrading from my Peavey Bandit 112 (it's beginning to smell of barbecued chicken when i play solos, and my other guitarist has a Crate 120 Watt, pure noise that could take out the Amazon, so the Bandit was struggling).........basically I ain't got a whole lot to spend. I'm looking at a Hughes & Kettner Matrix half stack, from what I've read it seems to have a serious sound, and the 4 channels is a serious bonus, but what's worrying me is it mightn't be much of a step up at all from the Bandit.

To that end I'm looking at a Peavey Valve King, the Bandit had a glorious sound, but any reviews of the Valve King i've seen have praised it's sound metal-wise...I'm more of a Led Zep/ hard rock kinda guy than a metaller, but I do play some grungey stuff as well, Nirvana/Soundgarden etc

The other option I was looking at was a Randall G3 150, it'd be a decent step up from Bandit, but I know nothing about Randalls. Cabs wise, if i got the Hughes and Kettner I can see myself going 4x12, but for the others I'm thinking 2x12.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Led Zep, I would think you could get some pretty decent classic tones from a valve king. I played one and by itself I did not think it sounded too metal. Peavey also makes an el 34 amp that is inexspensive, acording to the reviews it sounds like a vintage Marshall(Led Zep). Jim is right Carvin makes reasonably priced amps.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Laney GH50L, Peavey Windsor is what I'd be directing you to if you are on a budget. These amps are supposed to be like a Hot Rodded JCM 800 which should be able to provide you with the sounds you are after.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Laney GH50L, Peavey Windsor is what I'd be directing you to if you are on a budget. These amps are supposed to be like a Hot Rodded JCM 800 which should be able to provide you with the sounds you are after.
The Windsor and the Valveking can both get a bit buzzy, if you're not careful, however, I HAVE seen where people have modded these amps to smoothe them out. I know the Windsor is supposed to LOOK like a Marshall, but, to me, it didn't quite have the same FEEL as one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts