Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an already modified RG from a member bur wasn't happy with the 2A quilt on it or the shade of purple. So I laminated a 4A to it and died it black then sanded, Black and strong purple, then light purple. Then about 8 coats of Nitro. It was a first and I could definitely do better if could do it over, but let me know what you guys think.
Here is one before and a couple of afters:
www.inertiarocks.com/RG_Body_Front.JPG
www.inertiarocks.com/purp004.jpg
www.inertiarocks.com/purp005.jpg
www.inertiarocks.com/purp006.jpg

Thanx alot guys

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, I know also that the handle is a little south of normal on a jem. My other jem hurts my index finger so I moved this one down to put more pressure on my middle fingers. It works OK, but now I don't like the look of it as much.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Now THAT is a top. I think that if there was no monkey grip, I could have passed it off as a J-Custom :D. One thing however, I'm not a fan of the colour match of the bridge pup with the finish. I'd bet it would look nicer in black, but if you like tha way it is then by all means keep it there. :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brothersnowgone said:
Wow that is really great work for a first time! Keep on doing it and you might find another source of income. BTW I like how you left the side with a natural wood finish, looks great as a binding!
Yeah, it has a 1/2" maple top on mahogany, so I wanted to show it off, and I love the natural binding look.

BTW, thanks for the compliments I can see every imperfection and know now how to prevent them. Believe it or not, the hardest part was getting the laminate to lay flat and stay glued.

Now I want to get a custom birdseye maple neck/fretboard made for me. I'm also considering trading the black hardware for chrome or gold. I think the contrast would look great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.