Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
He has a "Snake" on eSlay for sale (7342321273) for $1899 So he's charging $500/$600 for a paint job. Way over priced being that you can copy someone's work with ease, like connecting dots.

·
Registered
881 Posts
HDS said:
He has a "Snake" on eSlay for sale (7342321273) for $1899 So he's charging $500/$600 for a paint job. Way over priced being that you can copy someone's work with ease, like connecting dots.
maybe not with ease :) , but i agree its a bit pricey. i vote for the blue donnie

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
They don't look too bad but they certainly aren't very accurate in the style of original Donnie's.
The second Donnie is a bit closer but the first one is nothing like any of the originals i've seen.

I suppose they're OK as long as he isn't trying to pass them off as something they aren't.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
the second Donnie is reasonably close, but the detail work is off. The first looks nothing like a Donnie, but is still pretty damned cool in it's own right, IMO - I almost think I prefer it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think it is a paintjob, i can see some paintbrush marks in some of the details.....the guy probably has a very steady hand and donnie probably had less of that, and more blending/mixing of colors to have a fuller detailed look. Then again, you dont see too many closeups of real donnies.

Noone has been able to pull off the same kind of detail, or technique in his painting that donnie hunt had, most of the replicas I've seen don't really come close to it.

The best rainforest replica I've seen is the one that Mr. Fede did.

The snake is way too pricey, and it doesnt even have a floating bridge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
She (yes it's a woman) actually airbrushes each guitar and never uses any decals. The Donnies were not done as clones but, I believe, in the "spirit" of the originals. I think the Rain Forest and Snake are as close as you can get with out having Satch's guitars in front of you to copy. I'm having a JS-1 done soon and will post pics and a first hand opinion when I get it back. Later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.