Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, frist time poster, long time lurker here!

I recently acquired a nice '94 RG570CTAM, and it needs a good setup, which I usualy can do myself. The main problem is buzzing on the lower frets and choking on the higher frets, especially when bending.

- The buzz on the lower frets, I know I can resolve with giving the neck a little more relief. That is a simple fix.

- The higher fret choking worries me more. The action is set low, but not insanely low (or 'silly low' as Rich puts it), just as I like it. I know that when I add more relief to the neck to solve the lower fret buzzing the action will raise. Then when I lower the bridge to get the desired action, the problem will remain, since the upper part of the neck (frets 20-24) are not affected by the truss rod, it's the part directly screwed on the body.

Do I have to adjust the neck angle? It seems to me that if the neck was angled a bit more towards the front, the upper frets would get more clearance. Currently I can see that it's angled backwards a little, maybe too much.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
26,521 Posts
Neck relief doesn't affect the relationship between the upper frets and the bridge. Lower the bridge any and you'll just choke even more. You'll either have to raise the action or start looking at the fretwork.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, I can see you are right about the relationship between upper frets and bridge.

A fret job is really a last resort, I think... I'm sure there are solutions
Wouldn't changing the neck angle (w/ shims) solve my problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You mean, with a neck tilted back, the bridge has to be higher to get the same action, an therefore you can pull up more.. ok I get it.

My neck's angle is fine then.

I guess that means my guitar is going to see the doctor... damn.

Thanks for the tips!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.