Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well she was down to six guitars. Her initial pick out of the bunch was an Epiphone Les Paul jr with case. But, they were out of stock. So we went with pick number two, which was an Epiphone ES 335 in Iced Tea, with a case.

The guitar will be here Thursday or Friday, and the case is on back order, but should get here by Halloween. I’m down with that. This will be the first time that my wife has helped pick out a guitar for me. the other 4 choices were 3 Ibanez’s and a Jackson.

She couldn’t really surprise me as it was cheaper to use my account to pay for it, and in the end it’s both our money. She picked out down pillows a down comforter, and sheets and pillow cases and blankets for our bed. Pink sheets with purple pillow cases. And no surprise there we ordered them.
We figured that we better do it now while stuff is available.

And on that note I ordered my grandson and granddaughter Ibanez Mikros, a blue one for him and a burst for her. And I got them each a Marshall 15 SS watt amp. My daughter got a Jem jr about a month or so ago, along with an Orange amp. That was her XMAS. And my wife bought my Mom some jewelry. So all of our Christmas shopping is done. Yeah!
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Temperature Musical instrument accessory
Camera accessory Font Rectangle Electronic device Cameras & optics
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory

·
Registered
672 Posts
🤘 that's one musical family. Keep the music going through the ages man. Once my son is big enough to use a micro I am going to get him one. He just turned 3... I'm thinking for his 4th birthday he should have grown enough to get one.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had a Mikro for both my daughters.
With some work on the neck and some Gotoh tuners it was a great guitar. I've now passed it to my friend as my kids have moved to full size. Mikro age = 5-9

My kids like my Les Paul now. As mine has a wicked low action and it's slightly shorter scale than a Jem/JS/RG. It's too damn heavy to take to school though...

Great to see the next generation getting started. That'll be one noisy Christmas. Is there a song you can all play together?
(Surely one of you needs a bass now ;) )

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
^^^Might as well throw in a Mikro bass... Bought one for my wife to try out, but I like playing it myself. Good sounding & easy playing!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the Mikros came in with terrible fret sprout. Got that sorted with a diamond file. Did a complete set up and level and crown on my granddaughter’s Mikro.

I am going to wait to do one on my grandson’s as his was in a little better shape as far as the frets being level. I slipped with the file on ot first fret, high E side, and there is an mark where I chewed up a little bit of the wood right by the fret.

I did have to lower the nut‘s slots on both of them. My grandson has a 3/4 size guitar already at his house that is set up and he doesn’t seem to be playing it. He let his friend handle it, and he turned the tuning pegs until a string snapped. So his Jewel Blue Mikro will stay at Grandpa’s house, then he will have one at his Mom’s and and one here with me. He is taking piano lessons and has a Keyboard in my music room.

My granddaughter actually takes good care of her instruments. I will let her decide which one she wants to take home, either her Squier mini strat or the Mikro. I just got back the Vorson electric 1/2 size guitar back from my daughter’s house. My granddaughter played it for 2 years, and now that she is 7, she outgrew it. My granddaughter likes to jam when she comes over. My grandson does once in awhile. He actually is taking piano lessons, and has a piano at his mom’s House. He is just this last year been showing an interest in guitar. He is 11, but is kind of small. Too small for a full size Epi or Fender.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now, on to my new guitar. It arrived perfect. Frets all level, no dirt in the switch or pots. Nut was cut perfectly. This is the first electric guitar that I ever bought that didn’t require any work. I needed to adjust the truss rod and intonation after setting it up with 11’s. That was it.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, seeing how I have got all my Christmas shopping done, Idecidedto get one of these as they had one left in stock.
Musical instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hm, I was looking at those P90 SGs recently, they seem to have gotten all the important stuff right so they look close to the old ones. For the longest time, the bevelling was very meh on the Epiphones and non historic/custom shop Gibsons, but they've improved it a bit in recent years.

Let's face it, metal was born on one of these, that should be enough reason to respect or get one!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
🤦Christ, do you need an intervention?? I say this in jealousy... Hahaha.
Yeah I do need an intervention. And I got one. My credit card is maxed, but I will have it paid off in a couple of months, then I can start Again after the first of next year. There only 2 guitars I still need (want) and that is a fender Tele Deluxe, and an Epi Korina Explorer. I say Epi Korina, because I am not going to pay 8K just to have the headstock say Gibson.

Ive bought 16 new electrics this year and one Vintage one, and I’ve sold 7 so far this year.

Next year my plan is to renovate my music room/man cave.

Of curse the plan may change if I run across an early 80’s Destroyer at a decent price.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahaha wow. I can't imagine buying that many guitars in one year.
Most of my guitars are less than 600 bucks new. My least expensive guitar was $299.00 and my most expensive was 8K new, but I bought a NAMM show demo that was just a little more than half that price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts