Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a prestige RG 2550z and I want to do a full pickup swap. I am changing my pickguard to a white pearloid and need white pickups as well... so I figured I might as well upgrade them.

I already have another prestige RG fitted with an air norton in the neck and a tone zone in the bridge which covers the high gain part of my needs (I don't have needs as I actually only play at home, but you get the idea).

The middle pickup will be a true velvet as there isn't much to chose from in this area. I wanted to go with an area 67 but the wiring is more dificult and I have to change my 5 way switch for that (it's not a true single coil). With the true velvet I keep the original wiring.

In the neck I have the biggest dilemma... I will either go with the humbucker from hell (single coil sound), or with the bluesbucker (p90 wannabe). I am leaning more towards the bluesbucker, as I find the RG's kinda thin sounding anyway, so the added grit and low end of the P90 would be welcome as opposed to the glassy single coil cutting sound. The bluesbucker is new technology (air), but it has ceramic magnets which kinda puts me off a little... and it's harder to find than the HFH.

In the bridge first I wanted to go with an air norton, as I like the mild output and the harmonics which jump out. Now I am thinking maybe I can even go as far as an air zone... or would it be too much compared to the rest? I wonder how an air classic would sound in the bridge...

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,291 Posts
I'd recommend the Humbucker from Hell in the neck and a PAF Pro in the bridge. as these will give you exactly what you're after, light crunch tones. These will have quite a "hi-fi" edge to them.

If you want more vintage tones the 36th anniversary pair are excellent pickups and have relatively low putputs.

the Fred I think does saturated gain better than it does cleans, although to my ears it does quite a good early van halen sound too,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts