Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, here's the deal. i've got this ibanez rg570 in nickel grey (i think) made in 1999 in fugijen but it has a few problems:

the neck has a very small (about 1cm) crack in the typical location (between nut bolts under the nut). it seems fine for the moment and i don't think i'll do anything unless it gets worse.
the tone knob needs to be rewired onto it's pot.
it needs a new jack (already got one coming).
the pickups squeal (apparently it's because of the loose input jack, pups will be replaced eventually anyway).

but the biggest issue is that both the trem post holes are pretty ovalled and both posts can rock pretty freely if you just move em with your fingers. and when the guitar is all strung up, the posts are visually crooked, even when locked down.

i know there are lots of threads about this, and i've read a lot of them and i've narrowed down some options.

i've come across some options of epoxy (don't know much about it), wood filler, wood patch (???).

basically, i've gathered you don't fill in the whole hole, just the ovalled bit and then redrill?

basically, what tools and items would i need to make this work? i can't find anything on ibanezrules.come about it.

edit: also, how do i take out the threads in the trem posts?

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
For the ovaled holes, I would probably drill out the holes a bit larger so they are circular, and glue in some hard wood dowel. That way they wouldn't oval out again (common problem with basswood bodies - soft wood).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm. how do i take out the metal inserts? what kind of glue would i use to glue the dowel in? i'm assuming it would be easy to get some hard dowel roughly the same shape as the trem stud holes?

this is a pic of the wonkiness of the trem studs. to the right is the neck, to the left is the trem cavity etc and you can see (barely, it's a bad pic) how the studs are leaning towards the humbucker.

this is the neck cracks. they are incredibly hard to see so i outlined them a bit.

·
Vendor
26,381 Posts
For the ovaled holes, I would probably drill out the holes a bit larger so they are circular, and glue in some hard wood dowel. That way they wouldn't oval out again (common problem with basswood bodies - soft wood).
And what will happen is the dowel will now impress into the basswood and you'll have an even bigger problem.

Either using CA or wood patch is a quick and easy fix, both as hard or harder than "hardwood", and when it impresses further into the basswood, you just do it again.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
And what will happen is the dowel will now impress into the basswood and you'll have an even bigger problem.

Either using CA or wood patch is a quick and easy fix, both as hard or harder than "hardwood", and when it impresses further into the basswood, you just do it again.
how long would wood patch or CA (what does CA stand for by the way?) last for? how do i go about doing this, would it just be better to take it to my local guitar store? i don't really trust those guys though, they don't know that much...

edit: read the "can't get my trem to stick" thread properly and the guy did it by adding in some epoxy to the trem post holes and covered the outside of the trem receivers with something so that they didn't get stuck to the epoxy? it was kinda hard to understand.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i believe CA is cyanoacrylate. It's superglue. I've read on this forum that people repair their guitars with it! I think the idea is to drip superglue into the ovalised part of the hole while you're holding the stud insert at 90 degrees. Somebody will probably correct me if I'm wrong. I believe it is somewhat reversible as you can always use a little heat to get the stud out, as it will soften the glue.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Which music store are you talking about Homebake. If you need someone to do it for you in Canberra Better Music should be able to help you out. Their tech guy has been there for years and is quite good.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which music store are you talking about Homebake. If you need someone to do it for you in Canberra Better Music should be able to help you out. Their tech guy has been there for years and is quite good.
i always go to pro audio. sometimes, i know 100% more about a problem then they do and they often give you the wrong answer to something you want to know, but they are good guys.

i might give better music a try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts