Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, having a curious problem with my new RGT42DXFM which is as follows:
The trem, although staying perfectly in tune, makes a pronounced 'clunk' sound when the bar is pushed down and pulled up. I thought that it could either be the springs and claw, the knife edges or the truss rod.

As the noise seems to be centred in mid neck, I was thinking that maybe the truss rod was clunking under the changing tension (it doesn't rattle). However, when I slacken off the locking nut the clunking goes away!

The nut seems to be a tight fit and the guitar stays in tune brilliantly so that suggests that the strings are not slipping....so, what is it?

Ps The knife edges should be fine as this guitar has hardly been used.

Any ideas are very welcome so thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You were right! What it actually was (typically I found out just after i'd posted this) was one of the nut screws had actually snapped and it was just the tightness of the hole holding the head of the screw on the neck.

Thanks for replying

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I did your V pickup magnet swap mod today. Seems to have given me more of a difference between the pickups and they are definitely a lot less muddy too. Not quite sure I prefer the neck tone but I will live with it for a while and see :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts