Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I want to get people's opinions for a moment.

I've got valve heads and a 4x12" and i also have a 2x12" cab, which makes for a nice small stack that can pack a punch over a 2x12" open back combo.

Now, with having a 2x12" cab, is it worth going for a combo at all? If i did, I'd consider a 1x12" for size and portability, especially since I have a 2x12" cab.

I just sold a split channel 1x12" JCM 800, as the clean channel was pretty awful and harsh. So I've considered finding a secondhand JCM 900 dual reverb combo as I have the head and love the cleans and overdrive and also up for consideration is the DSL401 combo.

Any thoughts and reccomendations on the above?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think Marshall and Marshally type amps were MADE to be played through a closed back cab of some type. Open back cabs and open back combos just take away from that kind of tone. I am a huge FAN of a 2x12 closed back cab for Marshall/ EL34 type tones. Right now I am runnning my Sovtek MIG60 through an upright 2x12 closed back loaded with celestions. To me it hits that "sweetspot" right between a 4x12 and a 1x12. If I had to go to a 1x12 for portability/ space reasons, I would just go out and buy a decent 1x12 closed back cab and stick the MIG-60 head right on top of it.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Is it worth going for some sort of a 1x12? Sure... now would be a GREAT time to buy something non-Marshall to have on hand for more tonal options. I know how you feel about your Marshalls, but if you could grab a combo tube Fender, or Mesa, or something with a markedly different tone, it'd be a lot of fun to screw with and would be great to have around for recording.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I'll sell you 4 G12M-75 speakers if you can stand them for $100. I think 2 need reconing and 2 are good. Then you can try to make your own cabinet!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got rid of some G12M's with a JCM 800! Cheeky thing is, the guy has it up on eb-ay already, must be a sneaky trader!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ya, Fleabay is a blessing and a curse. I always seem to lose out on buying stuff on my local Craiglist only to see it up for sale by a new seller on E-bay for more money.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, I do feel a bit cheeky though, but still, a good amp for what it is.

I had an idea, how about a combo, and close the back up, but just allow enough ventilation for the lovely glowing valves?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts